Duck foot injury, need advice!

Ouch, poor baby. Unfortunately, at this point I don't think it can be joined back together without surgery. The duck should be fine once it's fully healed.

I would keep applying some ointment on it and keeping it clean, perhaps some confined time for about a week. Don't get it wet if possible. It already looks mostly healed, but the webbing is going to remain separated from that toe, I'm afraid.
That is what I was thinking! It is walking very well now, almost no limp at all so I think once fully healed it will be back to normal. I am planning on keeping it inside for about a week and will definitely be keeping it clean and dry along with the antibiotic ointment.

Have you ever seen a foot injury similar to this? Any ideas as to what could have caused it? If you look at the picture at the other side of the foot where there is no big cut, you can see a strange scarring pattern.

That is what I was thinking! It is walking very well now, almost no limp at all so I think once fully healed it will be back to normal. I am planning on keeping it inside for about a week and will definitely be keeping it clean and dry along with the antibiotic ointment.

Have you ever seen a foot injury similar to this? Any ideas as to what could have caused it? If you look at the picture at the other side of the foot where there is no big cut, you can see a strange scarring pattern.
The only thing I can think of is perhaps a snapping turtle? Do your ducks have access to a pond?

Yes they do actually! Omg I hope that’s not it, the pond is very muddy so we cannot see much in it.
There's a very high probability then that this is exactly what happened. :( Snapping turtles can be very dangerous. They eat ducklings, and can drag a full-grown duck under, too. Some people eat snappers, so maybe you can try to catch it and turn it into soup?

The original wound may have necropsied (the skin died) which is why it receded from the toe.

There's a very high probability then that this is exactly what happened. :( Snapping turtles can be very dangerous. They eat ducklings, and can drag a full-grown duck under, too. Some people eat snappers, so maybe you can try to catch it and turn it into soup?

The original wound may have necropsied (the skin died) which is why it receded from the toe.
Thank you for your help!!!

Back
Top Bottom