Duck Houses

Pics
So, I have a dilemma, and am hoping that all you wonderful people can help me! I have 4 ducks, 1 (jumbo?) pekin, and three swedish. They're still inside right now, but I have NO idea what I'm going to do for their house! I have 2 options.

1: I have a truck camper on cinders, ( I know, red neck) that is well ventilated, and secure, and has housed a gigantic breeding rooster for a year now.
2: I just built a new chicken coop, and instead of throwing out the old one, I could shorten the legs, ( it's 2' off the ground- too high for ducks?) add more ventilation, and make a wide open door for cleaning. Or I could remove the flooring, and put the body on cinder blocks so that it could have a dirt floor...

The coop is 5'x4' and the camper is a standard 5'x8'

which one should I do???
barnie.gif

So, I have a dilemma, and am hoping that all you wonderful people can help me! I have 4 ducks, 1 (jumbo?) pekin, and three swedish. They're still inside right now, but I have NO idea what I'm going to do for their house! I have 2 options.

1: I have a truck camper on cinders, ( I know, red neck) that is well ventilated, and secure, and has housed a gigantic breeding rooster for a year now.
2: I just built a new chicken coop, and instead of throwing out the old one, I could shorten the legs, ( it's 2' off the ground- too high for ducks?) add more ventilation, and make a wide open door for cleaning. Or I could remove the flooring, and put the body on cinder blocks so that it could have a dirt floor...

The coop is 5'x4' and the camper is a standard 5'x8'

which one should I do???
barnie.gif
Sounds like both would work so take your pick. just make sure to use hardware cloth to secure any windows and openings. The spare house would either need to be lowered or make a wide ramp but the ramp can't be steep especially with a jumbo Pekin[legs] and to me a floor is much better than dirt you can cover with cheap vinyl then add deep shaving and your good to go. Which ever one you choose the other one can be saved when you add on to your flock
lol.png
it's bound to happen.

A y ducks are almost ready to start being outside. That means hubby needs to finish their habitat. He has a structure built that more resembles a chicken coop. It seem on this sight I see more duck "pens" or areas with a minimal structure like shelter (maybe just a small laying area?)
So please, enlighten me on what an ideal duck area for 6 ducks would be.
Just some information
We have hot summers with monsoons and early long colder winters with moderate snowfall.
Thanks duckies !!!!#

We've had our ducks for a little over 3 years. 3 female runners. This fall we finally built them a nice coop right next to their run in our small urban back yard. Before this they were herded every evening and morning to a coop under our back stairs. It was very safe for night time predators, but so much easier to just open a door without herding them across the yard. Since they now have access to the coop during the day, one of our ducks went broody this spring for the first time. We snuck some fertile eggs under her when she was quickly feeding one morning and she hatched out 5 babies! Here are some pictures of our coop:

When it was first built before the linoleum and bedding flooring. The door on the left leads to the egg box for my kids to collect the eggs and also when the roof is open as in this picture, dirty bedding can be raked out that door. The small pop door with ramp on the right is what the ducks use to go to their run. Since we live in an urban area our main predators are nocturnal so their day time run is just few dog X pens connected together to keep the ducks in their half of our fully fenced yard.

Mama protecting her babies from me as I clean out wet bedding inside the coop. We don't usually keep food and water in here but with babies, we have to.

Here are mama and babies in their cat proof mini run that attaches to the egg box door.

Thanks for the pictures. I have my first duckling and I am trying to figure out housing. With the hens or separate. I think with.

Can Ducks jump at all? Live the height of baby pool or even less than that? Need to figure out if I need a ramp.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom