Duck noise help

Jun 13, 2022
Hey guys

I have 6 Indian Runner Ducks, 2 boys and 4 girls. I am really struggling with the noise of the girls. Ive had the ducks since last August and have been absolutely fine! I understand ducks quack and make noise, my chickens can be noisy too! But this is ridiculous. They have been fine from August last year until about the beginning of February this year but they have changed and their noise levels are worse! The girls dont stop quacking, and I seriously mean it. Its constant and loud, I know why and I believe its to get my attention but I cant be out with them 24/7. The quacking doesnt stop and goes on for hours! And then they start honking for ages too! I made sure I was prepared for having ducks and people did say about quacking but I cant believe its this constamt from morning to night. Yesterday they didnt stop for about 4 hours and was so worried about the neighbours that I had to lock the ducks in the coop for half an hour just to get them to be quiet, ive been in tears over this because they wont stop.I undestand ducks chat and the mild quacking and chatting is fine but the increased level at this length of time is too much. My friend also has runner ducks and they are nothing like mine. They have a pond, running area, treats and unlimited food and water. Due to avian flu there isnt much else I can do?? My partner is getting worried about the noise level and wants to get rid of them but I really dont if I can avoid it. Does anyone know why they are so comstant and if there is anything else I can do? I refuse to believe that this level of noise is normal, just at breaking point with them 😓

My girls only get going non stop with the loud honk if something is scares them
What has changed since they started ?
Or
My one girl gets all worked up if the boys come anywhere near her
She hates all but one and then she went broody and that was constant noise it’s been 2 months of her very loud but nobody else is doing it

Hey guys

I have 6 Indian Runner Ducks, 2 boys and 4 girls. I am really struggling with the noise of the girls. Ive had the ducks since last August and have been absolutely fine! I understand ducks quack and make noise, my chickens can be noisy too! But this is ridiculous. They have been fine from August last year until about the beginning of February this year but they have changed and their noise levels are worse! The girls dont stop quacking, and I seriously mean it. Its constant and loud, I know why and I believe its to get my attention but I cant be out with them 24/7. The quacking doesnt stop and goes on for hours! And then they start honking for ages too! I made sure I was prepared for having ducks and people did say about quacking but I cant believe its this constamt from morning to night. Yesterday they didnt stop for about 4 hours and was so worried about the neighbours that I had to lock the ducks in the coop for half an hour just to get them to be quiet, ive been in tears over this because they wont stop.I undestand ducks chat and the mild quacking and chatting is fine but the increased level at this length of time is too much. My friend also has runner ducks and they are nothing like mine. They have a pond, running area, treats and unlimited food and water. Due to avian flu there isnt much else I can do?? My partner is getting worried about the noise level and wants to get rid of them but I really dont if I can avoid it. Does anyone know why they are so comstant and if there is anything else I can do? I refuse to believe that this level of noise is normal, just at breaking point with them 😓
Have their been any changes in their routine that may have unsettled them?
Anyone that could be broody?

When my girlie went broody, she got significantly louder.

I think hormones might be playing a part in this mine are loud and the girls are bickering (Runners and Buffs). Hopefully they’ll get quieted in a month or two. We haven’t any close neighbors so we don’t think much of the noise. Also do you keep feed out for them during daylight hours? But these girls sure can make a racket.

My girls only get going non stop with the loud honk if something is scares them
What has changed since they started ?
Or
My one girl gets all worked up if the boys come anywhere near her
She hates all but one and then she went broody and that was constant noise it’s been 2 months of her very loud but nobody else is doing it
Hello! I dont believe anything has changed?? The only thing I can think of, was a while ago my partner didnt shut their gate properly and they got out into the garden, we didnt notice for about an hour but they hadnt been in the garden for a while due to avian flu, we put them back quickly as we are still under lock down and since then, they stand by the gate constantly quacking. Im not sure if its because they got a brief taste of freedom? Unfortunately I cant let them out because of avain flu and the restrictions still so its very hard x

Have their been any changes in their routine that may have unsettled them?
Anyone that could be broody?

When my girlie went broody, she got significantly louder.
Hello! I dont believe shes gone broody? We leave the eggs in the coop for a day and get them at night and they dont sit on nests or anything? Ive noticed them getting quite raunchy with the boys by the pond, not sure if thats anything to do with it?x

I think hormones might be playing a part in this mine are loud and the girls are bickering (Runners and Buffs). Hopefully they’ll get quieted in a month or two. We haven’t any close neighbors so we don’t think much of the noise. Also do you keep feed out for them during daylight hours? But these girls sure can make a racket.
Thats interesting to hear! Didnt know that made an impact at all. Feed and water is kept out during the day and taken away at night as they go into their coop x

Hello! I dont believe anything has changed?? The only thing I can think of, was a while ago my partner didnt shut their gate properly and they got out into the garden, we didnt notice for about an hour but they hadnt been in the garden for a while due to avian flu, we put them back quickly as we are still under lock down and since then, they stand by the gate constantly quacking. Im not sure if its because they got a brief taste of freedom? Unfortunately I cant let them out because of avain flu and the restrictions still so its very hard x
That could be it
They want in the garden

That could be it
They want in the garden
Do you know if there is anything I can do about this? I havent seen any news about the UK releasing avian flu lockdown yet and this could be going on for months! Ive tried with extra acrivities with them and enrichment but they dont stop standing at the gate for most of the day just quacking x

Back
Top Bottom