Duck Pond/pool pictures

Pics
We are getting ready to build our duck housing, does anyone have any MUST HAVES for their duck housing before we design it? Also, do you have any DON'TS, that we should avoid? Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Edit: We are planning on getting only 3 - 5 ducks.

Last edited:
We are getting ready to build our duck housing, does anyone have any MUST HAVES for their duck housing before we design it?  Also, do you have any DON'TS, that we should avoid?  Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Edit:  We are planning on getting only 3 - 5 ducks.

Meyer has a lot of great coop plans, personally I really like the New Englander and the Gingerbread duck house :)

https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productlist.a5w?subcat=5098&cat=1027

But anyway, i think a big thing for ducks is that unlike chickens they like to be low to or on the ground and don't roost. Also they're really messy with their water so I've heard of people putting it outside on a wire platform and digging a hole under so they cant track water everywhere lol but they do need a pool too or some sort of open water source to wash their beaks. I dont have any yet though but these are all just ideas I've gathered from research haha

Last edited:
We are getting ready to build our duck housing, does anyone have any MUST HAVES for their duck housing before we design it? Also, do you have any DON'TS, that we should avoid? Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Edit: We are planning on getting only 3 - 5 ducks.

make more room just in case. it is not likely you will remain with 3-5 ducks only, especially if you let them hatch eggs.

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and just wanted to share my duck pond experience so far.
This is my Lowes 125 gal pond with a diy biofilter. I am using an above ground pool pump that I had in the shed to circulate the water. The plants I believe are taro that I pulled from the creek behind my house. I have two ducks and have yet to dump the water, only top off every other day and it's still perfectly clear! It's been running now for about a month and the ducks love it, especially since it's in their 10ftX12ft pin.

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and just wanted to share my duck pond experience so far.
This is my Lowes 125 gal pond with a diy biofilter. I am using an above ground pool pump that I had in the shed to circulate the water. The plants I believe are taro that I pulled from the creek behind my house. I have two ducks and have yet to dump the water, only top off every other day and it's still perfectly clear! It's been running now for about a month and the ducks love it, especially since it's in their 10ftX12ft pin.
@proteinjunkie Welcome to BYC and what a beautiful set up you have there. I'd say you will need to explain your diy bio filter we always get questions on how to keep pond water clean. Thanks so much for sharing

welcome-byc.gif
Beautiful set up!

Water is still clean and clear today. No water changes yet!!! Plants and ducks are happy!

Selfie with the Ducks! Lol

Thank you everyone! Hope this helps anyone looking to install a cheap DIY duck pond....

This is an extra container I had in the shed that I used, before I painted it. I basically place a few bricks on the bottom in a triangle, then 1/2" mesh wire layed across, next put some cheap bird/deer block on top of the wire (this prevents pebble rocks from falling through) and add a bag of pebble rocks. I cut a milk crate in half and placed upside down on rocks with some large sponges inside that I found on the tile isle at home depot inside. I grabbed some Taro plants I found growing on the edge of the creek behind my house here in Florida, some Dollarweed in my garden and a few Iris plants out of the garden and placed the roots through the holes in the milk crate. Last I ran the pump hose down the inside to the bottom of the container and filled in around the plants with another bag of pea pebbles...
*Make sure to rinse all of the pebbles before placing inside*
For the hole cut out, I used a 3" PVC adapter with a rubber toilet bowl flange. Cut an angle on the PVC, screwed it into the container and painted the whole thing to look like a whiskey barrel!
I recently found that leaving the pump on the bottom, the intake quickly fills up with crap...... So I decided to make a DIY skimmer. One little organization bin, a drill with bit, hole saw bit, and 2 zip ties later.... A skimmer. I just made a 1/4" mesh cover and placed some pine needles inside as a type of debris filter.
It's been working flawlessly! I just remove mesh and spray with hose to rinse off every few days.

Back
Top Bottom