Duck with a bad leg

Dif. get him on a vitamin routine asap. whether you use Super B Complex or Plain niacin or Brewers yeast[not baking yeast] he needs help fast. None of these are expensive. Please take a pic of bottom of his feet so we can see what your talking about. Tell us how the bump feels is it a callous or does it feel really hard or is it squishy?
Ok I will take a pic of it but where am I suppose to get these vitamins? And are you sure it's for this type of injury?

Ok I will take a pic of it but where am I suppose to get these vitamins? And are you sure it's for this type of injury?
Pekins have leg problems and most of the time it's due to a niacin deficiency other breeds do too but Pekins because they grow so fast and are heavy tend to be worse. It will not hurt them one bit to have any of these and it may help him and take care of the problem, if you ignore it he may get where he can't walk at all. He may be with his feet turned in but at least he will walk hopefully. Now you have to realize we are not vets, so all we can do is make suggestions but we have seen this enough to know most of the time it is a vitamin deficiency. You can pick up B Complex tablets or capsules at walmart or most drug stores. Plain niacin you'll have to go to a Health store and they most likely will have Brewers yeast too. At this point I'd go with BComplex since he may need more than niacin . But saying all of this we need to see his feet to see if he has bumble foot bottoms please. @Amiga can you dose to give the B Complex dose? Niacin it's 100-150mgs according to the Guide to raising ducks book Brewers yeast is 1 Tab to 1 Cup of feed.

Pekins have leg problems and most of the time it's due to a niacin deficiency other breeds do too but Pekins because they grow so fast and are heavy tend to be worse. It will not hurt them one bit to have any of these and it may help him and take care of the problem, if you ignore it he may get where he can't walk at all.  He may be with his feet turned in  but at least he will walk hopefully. Now you have to realize we are not vets, so all we can do is make suggestions but we have seen this enough to know most of the time it is a vitamin deficiency. You can pick up B Complex tablets or capsules at walmart or most drug stores. Plain niacin you'll have to go to a Health store and they most likely will have Brewers yeast too. At this point I'd go with BComplex since he may need more than niacin . But saying all of this we need to see his feet to see if he has bumble foot bottoms please. @Amiga
  can you dose to give the B Complex dose? Niacin it's 100-150mgs according to the Guide to raising ducks book Brewers yeast is 1 Tab to 1 Cup of feed.
Thank you so much I will keep that in mind. Is it possible his leg could heal?

Pekins have leg problems and most of the time it's due to a niacin deficiency other breeds do too but Pekins because they grow so fast and are heavy tend to be worse. It will not hurt them one bit to have any of these and it may help him and take care of the problem, if you ignore it he may get where he can't walk at all. He may be with his feet turned in but at least he will walk hopefully. Now you have to realize we are not vets, so all we can do is make suggestions but we have seen this enough to know most of the time it is a vitamin deficiency. You can pick up B Complex tablets or capsules at walmart or most drug stores. Plain niacin you'll have to go to a Health store and they most likely will have Brewers yeast too. At this point I'd go with BComplex since he may need more than niacin . But saying all of this we need to see his feet to see if he has bumble foot bottoms please. @Amiga can you dose to give the B Complex dose? Niacin it's 100-150mgs according to the Guide to raising ducks book Brewers yeast is 1 Tab to 1 Cup of feed.
Use the amount of niacin (B3) in the B Complex. If there are 100 mg niacin in the B complex pill, then one pill to 1 gallon of water. if there are 200 mg of niacin in each pill, half a pill per gallon of water, or one pill in two gallons of water.

The duck can get better, most likely, if you keep up with treatment and therapy every day and are patient. If the duck gets what he or she needs, there can be great improvement. Most of it is up to you. It may be worse than I think, but to emphasize it - with much respect for you - if you do not do what is needed, the duck won't get better.

Thanks for everyone's help but my duck died. It's gonna be a really sad day and either I didn't take care of it in time, or there wasn't anything I could do. At least he's not in pain. Rip.

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom