Duckling breathing with mouth open

cluckyducky21

Hatching
May 1, 2017
I have a magpie duckling which I got for free with the run because its completely blind in its right eye and has a deformity on its right foot. Assuming something happened while developimg in the egg. Anyway, I have this baby in a cat carrier and am keeping it warm by a heating pad underneath the carrier. Its not too warm and not too cold. Always has fresh water and food. Its alone but has multitudes of attention from the kids and me. It can't quite walk right but can hobble to where it wants to get. But to get to the point I just noticed that it is breathing through its mouth. I can't see any obstructions in its nostrils and it isnt breathing hard its just breathing normal but through its mouth. Any suggestions to why or what i should do?

I wouldn't suggest making it damp, you want to keep the duckling warm and dry. If it is staying damp in there it might get chilled or sick. What kind of wood chips are you currently using? Cedar can cause a lot of issued so pine is recommended. I'm not sure it is the cat carrier that would cause the issues, if it's secure and warm with plenty of ventilation and room to get away from the heat if it is too much then I don't see the issue with it.

Quote: I think this is where the confusion came from as you did not say anything about the humidity. I'm still not seeing the problem with the cat brooder if it has proper ventilation and heat. The OP did state that the duckling is able to get away from the heat.

Ok to clarify, a post did say damper settings. The duckling does have a bowl to dunk its head in has unlimited amount of food. Has the ability to get away from jeat. I use prince feed, it has enough ventilation and the wood shavings are pure pine. We have always bought it for our chicks and ducks. Im the soft one of the family and I can't have the heart to get rid of it because its blind hand has a deformed foot. Im hoping it just has somewhat of a "cold". I will give it time to let its body heal.

I had a few pant when they were young...I don't think it's life threatening. My females panted even under the heat lamp which you would think they would have gotten away from. I cracked a door thinking maybe they were hot and also had the deeper dish for them to dunk their head into but they panted away so I think could be just a thing they do at a young age. Mine are now about 6 weeks old!

How sweet of you to take it in and try to offer it the best life possible despite it's physical differences clucky! I'd have totally done the same thing because I'm always a sucker for the underdog :)

Your set up sounds just fine. I'm not sure about allergies but at times my ducklings will scratch at their faces as well. Seems more of a "this feels good" sort of itch more than a "something's wrong here" sort of itch so I haven't worried about it. Could be upper respiratory related, and make sure you're not seeing any sort of mites, but unless you're keen on bringing it into a vet you'll just have to wait and see how things shake out. Other than that, keep making sure it has plenty of access to water like you've already stated you're doing - and ALWAYS stay away from damp anything in regards to birds (coop air, bedding, feed etc). Aflatoxin and aspergillosis is no joke,

Hi cluckyducky21 I also had a few of my ducklings pant while in their brooding cage and they suggest putting water in a bowl deep enough for them to dunk their beak into sometimes food gets caught in their nostrils. I just kept a little tupperware with water near them. Whenever I would put it in they would rush to drink from it.

It sounds like the Duckling is too warm....What you may think isn't too warm might actually be...?

Ducklings only need half the brooder heated...They need water deep enough to dunk their heads to keep their nares and eyes clear...:)....

Best wishes...:)

It nkw seems to be sneezing. It has a bowl of water to submerge its whole bill into. Im wondering if its getting sick?

Back
Top Bottom