Duckling breathing with mouth open

I wouldn't suggest making it damp, you want to keep the duckling warm and dry. If it is staying damp in there it might get chilled or sick. What kind of wood chips are you currently using? Cedar can cause a lot of issued so pine is recommended. I'm not sure it is the cat carrier that would cause the issues, if it's secure and warm with plenty of ventilation and room to get away from the heat if it is too much then I don't see the issue with it.

Quote: I think this is where the confusion came from as you did not say anything about the humidity. I'm still not seeing the problem with the cat brooder if it has proper ventilation and heat. The OP did state that the duckling is able to get away from the heat.

I'm not trying to discredit your intentions or advice but a little explaination would be helpful to explain what you mean. Just saying "damper settings" was confusing and you still have not explained why the entire brooder set up needs to be changed or is the cause of the original problem. I have no doubt that you have experience but some of the answers are a little vague an lead to more answers.

Hope the duckling is feeling better by now. I'm still not sure why your setup shouldn't work. Did you happen to check what kind of wood chips you're using?

Ok to clarify, a post did say damper settings. The duckling does have a bowl to dunk its head in has unlimited amount of food. Has the ability to get away from jeat. I use prince feed, it has enough ventilation and the wood shavings are pure pine. We have always bought it for our chicks and ducks. Im the soft one of the family and I can't have the heart to get rid of it because its blind hand has a deformed foot. Im hoping it just has somewhat of a "cold". I will give it time to let its body heal.

I had a few pant when they were young...I don't think it's life threatening. My females panted even under the heat lamp which you would think they would have gotten away from. I cracked a door thinking maybe they were hot and also had the deeper dish for them to dunk their head into but they panted away so I think could be just a thing they do at a young age. Mine are now about 6 weeks old!

Back
Top Bottom