Duckling Brooder Advice With Experience......??????

WhiteCollarWeezy

Positive Chick
Premium Feather Member
Sep 13, 2022
Central Arkansas
As of yesterday, I have hatched my first ducklings of the season. I always get extremely excited when I am able to bring life to these wonderful yet messy lil birds. Ive only hatched maybe three batches in the last couple of years. So to all my fellow duck lovers....I would love to know any secrets on how to keep their brooder less messy? I try and be creative and use whatever I sanitize and make work at the last minute. I have always firmly believed in managing money, so with that said......I have them in a orange plastic water trough I acquired at a local scrap yard. Since it was plastic the owner had no problem giving it away. unsure of the gallons, but it is knee deep to me and i am 5'3. I used purple toole like clothe to line the bottom to avoid splay leg. i covered that cloth with shavings and used a couple rocks, the top to a chick waterer, and a quail egg turner as a bridge of sorts! Under the "pool" I Lined with a few pup pads for absorption. Like I said folks would love to hear your own postive perks to raising, hatching, brooding and whatever else you love about these quacks. Advice PLEASE???!@#$%^&

Attachments

• IMG_20240401_230557478.jpg
    IMG_20240401_230557478.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20240401_230544701.jpg
    IMG_20240401_230544701.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240401_230531847.jpg
    IMG_20240401_230531847.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 19
Lovely little Swedes you have there :love

The biggest problem I had with my first round of ducklings was keeping the box itself clean! Lining the floor wasn’t enough, they’d always manage to get poop and gunk up the walls:thCleaning was lengthy, and the smell was almost unbearable.

I just had my second round and found the idea to line the entire box with a tarp; absolute genius! No more cleaning the box itself. The tarp can simply be hosed off, with it being water-proof and all. Any smell that might’ve been gets whisked away when you carry the tarp out of the room; it always smells so fresh so fast! Never brooding again without a tarp.

My favorite low-mess waterers that I’ve seen are taking a Tupperware container and cutting holes in the lid, or taking a plastic, gallon jug and cutting holes in the side. You can cut the holes to be big enough for them to drink / dunk their heads, but small enough so they can’t climb in and swim.

I built my brooder box to be large enough for me to sit in. I absolutely loved getting to sit in the box and have the little babies run around all over me + sleep on me ☺️

Lovely little Swedes you have there :love
Thank you so much. So glad you positively responded to my thread. Im thinking the lil brown one is mixed cayuga, the egg it hatched from was an off black color.

The biggest problem I had with my first round of ducklings was keeping the box itself clean! Lining the floor wasn’t enough, they’d always manage to get poop and gunk up the walls:thCleaning was lengthy, and the smell was almost unbearable.
o my. I know it. The first time i brooder the bottom of the brooder was mush. Yuck but made great garden fertilizer
I just had my second round and found the idea to line the entire box with a tarp; absolute genius! No more cleaning the box itself. The tarp can simply be hosed off, with it being water-proof and all. Any smell that might’ve been gets whisked away when you carry the tarp out of the room; it always smells so fresh so fast! Never brooding again without a tarp.
Tarp good idea
My favorite low-mess waterers that I’ve seen are taking a Tupperware container and cutting holes in the lid, or taking a plastic, gallon jug and cutting holes in the side. You can cut the holes to be big enough for them to drink / dunk their heads, but small enough so they can’t climb in and swim.
I saw something similar to that when I browsed the topic.
I built my brooder box to be large enough for me to sit in. hI absolutely loved getting to sit in the box and have the little babies run around all over me + sleep on me ☺️
Of course you did. Thats awesome. we spend enough time and money on them might as well make em share.

Just a note the very first one out of the hatchers is always black and tan and hateful. bossy and the leader of the pack.

Back
Top Bottom