Duckling Diaries: the Life and Times of a Welshie Trio

I think all you can really do is separate them for a while to give the girls a break. But I know that's a pita to do.
Or get more ducks! :gig
I vote for more ducks!
However. . I have noticed that my drakes do have favorites. . so I'm not sure adding more girls will even remedy the problem. . unless they decide to have more favorites :rolleyes:
I would say breeding season will probably go on all summer but not sure what summer is where you live. . .

How many girls do you have? Don't you have 6?
Correct. :oops:
I love both of my big drakes to pieces but I guess too many males is too many males... I am hoping they'll calm down soon.
I think all you can really do is separate them for a while to give the girls a break. But I know that's a pita to do.
Or get more ducks! :gig
I vote for more ducks!
However. . I have noticed that my drakes do have favorites. . so I'm not sure adding more girls will even remedy the problem. . unless they decide to have more favorites :rolleyes:
I would say breeding season will probably go on all summer but not sure what summer is where you live. . .
I would but I can't see my pens right now. :hmm
P1310445.JPG

:plbb Summer is the period of time in between June and September. And yes, it gets above freezing. No more ducks—these beepers are great but SO much work. If I had another couple hundred in my pocket I think I could make them be a lot less work, but unfortunately, that couple hundred went into feed.

So, with the onset of warm-ish weather (warm being over -20c) I am starting to have drake issues. Flippy and Hailey—the most promiscuous—both have feather loss on their necks and backs. I don't think I've gone out to the coop yet this week without seeing at least one drake, ahem, riding one of the hens.

I have three drakes, but one is a Call and doesn't even try. I've been plugging my ears and ignoring the fact I might have to sell either Scooter or Drake... but my poor featherless ladies are looking like they might want a break. Thoughts, from anyone other than Ralphie? How long does breeding season last?
Separate the Ancona's into a breeding pen. Then hatch out ducklings and sell them. Problem solved!! :wee

Breeding season here usually lasts until the middle of July. :hmm

Separate the Ancona's into a breeding pen. Then hatch out ducklings and sell them. Problem solved!! :wee

Breeding season here usually lasts until the middle of July. :hmm
:plbb That's enabling, not problem solving. See my next comment about breeding pens being invisible. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom