Duckling Diaries: the Life and Times of a Welshie Trio

The ducks say hi. Winter is once again testing my resolve to keep ducks---I'm currently attempting to figure out if it's even possible to have a water source that doesn't turn into a horrid ice and poop slick. So far, the answer is a resounding NO, three years in. Maybe I should move to someplace where the compost piles don't freeze solid by December...
P1360416.JPG
P1360410.JPG

Do you have electricity outside? I've been using my bird bath heater in a large plastic bowl, covered half with a board and a rock on top. They fill it full of mud of course and needs regular cleaning. . .but it sure beats hauling water first thing in the morning before work.
Kind of. There's solar wired to the goat fence. No plugs, though.
The issue isn't the water bowls so much as that when it gets splashed out, it freezes nearly instantly. The bowl holder and everything immediately around it gets covered in about half an inch of ice. I used a setup like you described for about two winters. Eventually, it froze shut and then froze to the floor, and that was the end of that.

Last edited:
Kind of. There's solar wired to the goat fence. No plugs, though.
The issue isn't the water bowls so much as that when it gets splashed out, it freezes nearly instantly. The bowl holder and everything immediately around it gets covered in about half an inch of ice. I used a setup like you described for about two winters. Eventually, it froze shut and then froze to the floor, and that was the end of that.
Have you ever thought of keeping the dux in a 400 degree oven. I doubt the water would freeze then.

Back
Top Bottom