Duckling Foot issue - Callus or bumblefoot or what?

ninety6

Chirping
Jun 9, 2021
Hello Duck Experts!

Our baby Khakis (6 of them) all are having a foot issue. They are 18 days old. here's a couple photos of the worst one. Any thoughts on if this is just calluses? everything i've looked at on bumblefoot doesn't look like this. Something else? It doesn't seem to bother them. All their legs feel the same (like they are warm, but not hot? - but they are also hanging out in a nice warm bin with heat lamp.

The other ducklings have it too, but not as bad. we noticed it Sunday 5/1. They've been getting daily epsom baths, antiseptic, and some Gentian Violet since Sunday night, and we've been extra cautious to keep their bedding dry and clean. I don't believe it's gotten worse since sunday. A couple might be getting better, but its very hard to tell.

(there were a few days we probably slacked, and they had wet/damp straw -- we have a better water system now).

Planning to switch from straw to pine shavings tonight.
They are eating Purina Flock Raiser (which from previous research indicates proper nutrition for ducklings.)

(the touch of purple is the GV stuff)

Thoughts?

Attachments

• duckfoot.jpg
    duckfoot.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 83
  • duckfoot2.jpg
    duckfoot2.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
How warm does the straw get under the heat lamp? I wonder if they are caused by the heat lamp heating the straw and it is causing little burns on their feet? The locations are similar to bumble foot. Any damage to the skin or little cut can lead to bumble foot.

hmm, i hadn't thought about surface temps of the straw. But i bet it gets hotter than pine shavings would. Air temps are good, ducks move around and seem happy. I'll check the ground temps -- good thought.

ground temps are good. warm to cool (depending on distance from lamp).

Yeah there were definitely a few days of wet poopy bedding. We have adjusted our schedule -- and mostly our water container -- to avoid this.

Thanks for the input. They've been nice and clean since we noticed it -- we'll keep it up. Hopefully we see improvement soon. Open to other ideas as well.

We are now on pine shavings and got some iodine antiseptic. Just keeping them clean and dry!
Sounds good. I use straw in the house outside when their bigger but find the pine to be better for brooding. It still needs to be cleaned frequently but definitely seems to absorb more. Hope your little ones’ feet all heal nicely for you.

After a day on the pine shavings (and with the iodine antiseptic), they were starting to look a little better. So today is day 2 of pine shavings. I'm piling on more throughout the day to keep the feet clean, and cleaning it each night. i think we may be on the mend.

They are going to a new home on Sunday - beautiful wood place with a big pond. Excited for them! Hopefully their feets are good by then!

Back
Top Bottom