duckling not pooping as much??

No, @sourland is correct. We have mentioned this before. Moistening the feed with water makes it easier to eat. It breaks down easier and is less likely to get stuck, which was the first issue.

No, @sourland is correct. We have mentioned this before. Moistening the feed with water makes it easier to eat. It breaks down easier and is less likely to get stuck, which was the first issue.
Alright, I have. We completely rearranged her brooder and gave her puppy pads so she seems much happier. I've noticed shes eating again.
Hoping she'll be alright, I'll keep you guys updated if anything else happens.

That is great to hear!
Hey! Sorry to bug again but another problem with Newt.. she seems to be our problem duck..
I've noticed she seems quite skinny, aggressively grooming (looks like shes ripped some feathers out of her chest), under her wings where her skin is, it looks irritated.
Other than that, she acts perfectly fine.
Shes constantly eating, sweet as always.
I just let her swim not too long ago and after she was done swimming and grooming herself, I noticed her grooming a part towards her back and I saw her skin was red and looked to be fleas..
I've seen two fleas on her when she was a duckling (around 2 weeks old, shes currently either 7 or 8, gotta do my math again..) but I got them off and killed them. I searched for any more and didn't find any.
Our cats have had fleas before but they've all been treated a few times now and the entire house was also treated not too long ago, the treatment works up to 200 days and any remaining fleas are fleas that cannot bite and will die off so I'm not sure how Newt got fleas..

Now I can't really get any pictures but I can try if needed.
I read how ducks can get lethargic and eventually die to pests like these so I was wondering how I treat her? I love this duckling to death and don't want to lose her to some stupid fleas!
Hopefully this'll be her last problem, she is such a problem duck!

Hey! Sorry to bug again but another problem with Newt.. she seems to be our problem duck..
I've noticed she seems quite skinny, aggressively grooming (looks like shes ripped some feathers out of her chest), under her wings where her skin is, it looks irritated.
Other than that, she acts perfectly fine.
Shes constantly eating, sweet as always.
I just let her swim not too long ago and after she was done swimming and grooming herself, I noticed her grooming a part towards her back and I saw her skin was red and looked to be fleas..
I've seen two fleas on her when she was a duckling (around 2 weeks old, shes currently either 7 or 8, gotta do my math again..) but I got them off and killed them. I searched for any more and didn't find any.
Our cats have had fleas before but they've all been treated a few times now and the entire house was also treated not too long ago, the treatment works up to 200 days and any remaining fleas are fleas that cannot bite and will die off so I'm not sure how Newt got fleas..

Now I can't really get any pictures but I can try if needed.
I read how ducks can get lethargic and eventually die to pests like these so I was wondering how I treat her? I love this duckling to death and don't want to lose her to some stupid fleas!
Hopefully this'll be her last problem, she is such a problem duck!
Just to make sure, you are certain the other ducks are not doing it to her? When they don't have enough space, they sometimes will peck at each other and eat each other's feathers. It is probably a pest, but just want to double check.

Permethrine will treat most mites and fleas and such. Since you saw fleas or some sort of bug, she likely has a pest that is affecting her. Pictures would be helpful if you can get them.

If you have any wildlife coming by, you can have fleas coming back. If you haven't, you can also spray the property with permethrine to prevent fleas from coming back. It will require multiple treatments.

Just to make sure, you are certain the other ducks are not doing it to her? When they don't have enough space, they sometimes will peck at each other and eat each other's feathers. It is probably a pest, but just want to double check.

Permethrine will treat most mites and fleas and such. Since you saw fleas or some sort of bug, she likely has a pest that is affecting her. Pictures would be helpful if you can get them.

If you have any wildlife coming by, you can have fleas coming back. If you haven't, you can also spray the property with permethrine to prevent fleas from coming back. It will require multiple treatments.
She doesn't have any ducklings with her, out of 14 eggs only she hatched and no one nearby has any call ducklings so we couldn't get her a friend so it is most likely a pest.
I can try to get a photo tonight.
So I use Permethrin on her to kill/get rid of any pests and spray the property to make sure they don't come back?
I'll see if I can get Permethrine tonight or tomorrow!

She doesn't have any ducklings with her, out of 14 eggs only she hatched and no one nearby has any call ducklings so we couldn't get her a friend so it is most likely a pest.
I can try to get a photo tonight.
So I use Permethrin on her to kill/get rid of any pests and spray the property to make sure they don't come back?
I'll see if I can get Permethrine tonight or tomorrow!
Aww... That is a bummer only one hatched.

So, yes, the permethrine can be used to kill fleas on the property as well on the duck. It will likely be different dosages. The one I got from TSC came with info on how to dilute for poultry and other applications.

Back
Top Bottom