Duckling slipped tendon?

Shoebox

Songster
Apr 5, 2020
20230701_124857.jpg

Is this a slipped tendon? And is it at both the hock and the foot?

This duckling has had problems with this leg from the start, and either I couldn't see this before or it's somehow been injured since then. Some kind of developmental defect happened because that back toe is completely missing, but a slipped tendon would possibly be treatable.

Duckling is 2 weeks old now and can't get in to the avian vet for 5 days. I know just about everything I've read says that's too old to fix it without surgery, and yes I wasn't able to move it, but is there anything I can do to help keep it from getting worse in the meantime? I did try to set it up in a sling but it was absolutely not having it.

I should add that I've been giving Nutridrench, Durvet super B complex, and nutritional yeast. In reading about varus / valgus deformity that sounds likely in this case, should I cut/dilute the starter feed with something to reduce protein intake to not promote fast growth? Currently feeding Mazuri.

Last edited:
So the leg won't bend straight down in a normal position? and it's at the foot and hock?
I doubt missing the back toe is any kind of problem is the toe on the other foot?

It looks like the leg is able to straighten sometimes, but only for a moment and is very shaky on the leg overall. I've been giving the Super B Complex for over a week now and it doesn't seem to have improved at all. Also I wasn't able to get a good photo but that leg is bowed with the hip angled outward.

I don't have experience to know what the movement would look like with a slipped tendon, but from looking at and feeling it, it seems to be out of the groove at both the hock and foot (green line where the groove seems to be, and red line where the tendon seems to be).
20230701_154313.jpg 20230701_154400.jpg

Yes, the other foot has the back toe and the leg seems normal. The missing toe made me think the problem leg didn't develop correctly, and also because this duckling had needed help hatching from the wrong end of the egg. 24 hours after hatching the leg was still twisted like this, but a boot helped uncurl the foot and I think untwist the leg some.

20230618_063611.jpg 20230618_063654.jpg

All I have seen of slipped tendon is the leg won't lay down flat like normal. Have you tried to slip the tendon back in place? The hock looks swollen from here.
How much B complex are you giving and how?
It could be a deformity.

All I have seen of slipped tendon is the leg won't lay down flat like normal. Have you tried to slip the tendon back in place? The hock looks swollen from here.
How much B complex are you giving and how?
It could be a deformity.
I've been giving 1ml daily over a tiny bit of kibble that absorbs it, and I watch to make sure he/she eats it all.

I did try to massage the tendon over but could not get it to move. I agree that the hock seems swollen, so I wondered if that would make it harder for the tendon to move back into place.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is a deformity, but in case it is a slipped tendon is there anything I should do to stabilize or support it until the appointment with an avian vet?

With it being swollen that makes it harder to get it back and painful too. You could try making a sling so the leg hangs down that may help.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/leg-foot-and-toe-issues-in-poultry-of-all-ages.68093/ If you scroll down you'll come to the info on slipped tendon. Just not sure this is what your dealing with but getting the duckling to the vet will give you a diagnosis and hopefully help for it. This info states that the chick or duckling will not be able to put their leg down is what makes me think this isn't a slipped tendon. Keep up the B complex too. I'd give warm water therapy and try to keep it from over using the leg until the vet examines.

Back
Top Bottom