Gingernutt

Chirping
Apr 14, 2023

(Hopefully that is viewable and its a little wet because it went into its water bowl and is drying off now)

It hatched out 7th June perfectly with its sibling and its eating and drinking fine but notice how weird it toes look and how it walks. It is a mallard crossed with a runner duck, so don't know if the pose is because of the runner duck gene. I'm just concerned about how weird it's feet because they looks a little bent to the side (the tip of the toe and nail) and wondering if something needs to be done or if it will be fine.

Are you giving any niacin supplements? I think you should try liquid B complex and see if that helps. So since he is a month old 1ml over a tasty small amount of treat daily until he is walking normal.Then another week or 2 after.
Here is some info and what to buy. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
He's only 4/5days old but I have started giving him niacin today but only just noticed the feet. I'll check out that link now

Oh gosh I read that as May sorry. Yes there are doses for very young too. Make sure what niacin you give isn’t flush free or time released. Actually when one has a problem already the liquid b is the best for recovery.

(Hopefully that is viewable and its a little wet because it went into its water bowl and is drying off now)

It hatched out 7th June perfectly with its sibling and its eating and drinking fine but notice how weird it toes look and how it walks. It is a mallard crossed with a runner duck, so don't know if the pose is because of the runner duck gene. I'm just concerned about how weird it's feet because they looks a little bent to the side (the tip of the toe and nail) and wondering if something needs to be done or if it will be fine.
You could try making shoes but getting the toes straight might be a problem but worth trying, here is info. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...s-with-tape-picture-tutorial-and-video.75247/ I know your duckling's toes aren't this bad but using this method may help.

Back
Top Bottom