Ducklings + Goslings

Already!!! Is it loud?

No it's not loud at all. It's a really quiet, almost purring. A couple of the ducklings have also started it today.

On another note: I almost bought some more ducklings from Orschelns. The guys at the counter said they were Dutch. The only Dutch ducks I found were the hookbills. Are these very common for a feed store to have? There wa s even a couple tufted in the mix! I may be coming home with ducklings tomorrow :)

Another Update: Ducklings are 3 and a half weeks and the goslings are 2 and a half. They're all growing so fast and its so fun to watch. The ducklings are growing their feathers. My sweet little fuzzy yellow ducks are turning white and almost have a full breast of brown feathers. They've become so needy when it comes to peas. I almost can't talk over their begging.

Last edited:
Another Update: Ducklings are 3 and a half weeks and the goslings are 2 and a half. They're all growing so fast and its so fun to watch. The ducklings are growing their feathers. My sweet little fuzzy yellow ducks are turning white and almost have a full breast of brown feathers. They've become so needy when it comes to peas. I almost can't talk over their begging.

They're so cute! And, boy, did those goslings grow! Are they still inside?

They sure are. I'm thinking a couple more weeks and they'll be outside. I have a little bit of predator-proofing to do at the run I've been working on. It's warming up outside. I would prefer to send them out and not have to provide a heat lamp.

They sure are. I'm thinking a couple more weeks and they'll be outside. I have a little bit of predator-proofing to do at the run I've been working on. It's warming up outside. I would prefer to send them out and not have to provide a heat lamp.
Yeah, it's easier without the heat lamp. I put mine out yesterday, and, for some odd reason, it went from 80 degrees on Saturday to somewhere in the 40s yesterday
idunno.gif
. I feel bad for the ducks, but they have most of their feathers now, anyways, at 5 and 6 weeks. They smelled really bad in the house!
Do you still have the original brooder, or have you upgraded?

Yeah, it's easier without the heat lamp. I put mine out yesterday, and, for some odd reason, it went from 80 degrees on Saturday to somewhere in the 40s yesterday :idunno . I feel bad for the ducks, but they have most of their feathers now, anyways, at 5 and 6 weeks. They smelled really bad in the house!
Do you still have the original brooder, or have you upgraded?

They're in the same brooder but I've added taller legs. It stands 18" now. With a little bedding the ducklings can look clear over the divider. The goslings are probably only a daybor two away from doing the same. My larger gosling like to pull at my ducklings feathers still. I've given it a few stern talking-to's but I still wouldn't trust them together alone unsupervised.

The bedding in the brooder gets an extra layer every day along with completely changing what's in the waterering area. Then every few days I'll change it all out, new plastic and all. The ducklings have been much more of mess with their water than the goslings. The 13 birds also seem to poop a lot more than the 2 :lol: We've been able to combat the smell so far but the ducklings are starting to run themselves out of water before I can get home to change it. I know I've said it before but they grow so fast!

They learned when I holler c'mere, it's time for peas. If you say it fast enough it starts to sound like quacks and they've taken to Pavlov's theory quickly :lol:

They're in the same brooder but I've added taller legs. It stands 18" now. With a little bedding the ducklings can look clear over the divider. The goslings are probably only a daybor two away from doing the same. My larger gosling like to pull at my ducklings feathers still. I've given it a few stern talking-to's but I still wouldn't trust them together alone unsupervised.

The bedding in the brooder gets an extra layer every day along with completely changing what's in the waterering area. Then every few days I'll change it all out, new plastic and all. The ducklings have been much more of mess with their water than the goslings. The 13 birds also seem to poop a lot more than the 2
lol.png
We've been able to combat the smell so far but the ducklings are starting to run themselves out of water before I can get home to change it. I know I've said it before but they grow so fast!

They learned when I holler c'mere, it's time for peas. If you say it fast enough it starts to sound like quacks and they've taken to Pavlov's theory quickly
lol.png
lau.gif
the way to a duckling's heart - peas!

So I've found something extremely peculiar and I'm not sure if any of you have had a similar experience. I've stated above that calling out c'mere will get my ducklings into a commotion that you can't talk over. They know that peas will follow very soon and don't let up...

Now a couple nights ago I started imitating a song on the radio (my wife has a radio tuned to old time country for them). I made a bass filled noise sounding similar to a baritone with one high note and one low repetitively. BUM bum BUM bum BUM bum, and so on. All my ducks stood up simultaneously and quiet as could be, like I had called attention. They all stare intently and stand up really straight. I'll try to get a video posted to show what I mean but is there any of you with a particular noise that hush's up your ducks?

EDIT: Apparently the mp4 format of my phone's videos are not allowed. All the files have failed to upload.

Last edited:
So I've found something extremely peculiar and I'm not sure if any of you have had a similar experience. I've stated above that calling out c'mere will get my ducklings into a commotion that you can't talk over. They know that peas will follow very soon and don't let up...

Now a couple nights ago I started imitating a song on the radio (my wife has a radio tuned to old time country for them). I made a bass filled noise sounding similar to a baritone with one high note and one low repetitively. BUM bum BUM bum BUM bum, and so on. All my ducks stood up simultaneously and quiet as could be, like I had called attention. They all stare intently and stand up really straight. I'll try to get a video posted to show what I mean but is there any of you with a particular noise that hush's up your ducks?

EDIT: Apparently the mp4 format of my phone's videos are not allowed. All the files have failed to upload.
Well, sometimes when I whistle mine pay attention. I guess they just don't know what that noise it is since they're used to the sound of my voice but not that. Kind of like when the dog walks by- they are cautious but not exactly scared.

I wish I could get a video up. Of all the noises I've made (and I've tried a lot of noises), the bass has their attention. They all stand so still and quiet like I've never seen. They're usually sleeping or peeping (well their quacks are well on the way). I advise you to try it with yours.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom