Ducklings nostril is clogged.

DuckLover179

Waddles & Puddles
9 Years
Nov 28, 2010
California
Puddles nostril is clogged! She is 6 days old now, and I was planning on waiting till nest Friday to give her a bath. I put more water in her drinking bowl, so she could dunk it, but she just won't dunk it and she won't let me dunk it. When I tried to dunk it for her, she squeaked really loudly, and her sister went and hid from me behind their toy dog. Is there anything I can do to unclog it? Do I just have to suck it up and give her a bath???

Thanks!

Yes give them a bath, its not going to hurt them, just make it deep enough that they can reach the bottom of what ever you bath them in. I had mine in the bath 1 was 5 days old the other was 12 hours old. They loved and now they are outside they have a big tote to swim in, they are true water babies and love it.

Bath!!! Just make sure you dry them off and get them back under the heat lamp after a short swim there is nothing wrong with letting them swim very young.

I agree about the warm bath. They will have so much fun and that will encourage your duckling to dunk its head and learn how to clear its nostrils. Feel free to take pictures during said bath and post them
wink.png
!

he.gif
I gave her a warm bath in the sink with her sister, and I couldn't believe it- They HATE it! They were so scared, even when she would "Fall" underwater, her beak wouldn't unclog. So now they are back in the brooder, dry, but still clogged nostril!
hu.gif

You taking your finger nail or a toothpick and GENTLY poking it. Something ive had to do it hold them and blow through the nose hole to unclog it. Might startle them but that usually does the trick.

Quote:
I had my hands in, and when I would set her in the water, she would attempt to swim then get scared and struggle to get out, so she would fall in. But every time she did, I picked her right out again.

You definately need to unclog the nostril. You can use tweezers, toothpick whatever you have on hand, but it needs to be cleared. And then make sure their drinking water is deep enough for them to submerge their entire bill.

Back
Top Bottom