questions about a poorly Pekin- stiff neck and lethargy

BaileyP

Chirping
Apr 14, 2021
I have a 1 year old Pekin who has been through quite a lot this summer. She had a severe case of bumblefoot and after months of treatment and isolation, I finally felt comfortable reintroducing her to the flock and living outdoors. This was maybe two weeks ago.

She was moving slower than the rest, but we thought it may be a lack of strength after having limited mobility indoors with us while she healed. I'm convinced now we have a bigger issue than that. She is lethargic and seems to struggle with her neck. After a shallow bath she's unable to preen properly and can't move her neck around to reach her oil gland or even attempt to preen her wings. Her eyes are weeping but that could just be a result of her not attempting to dunk her head because of her neck. The neck issue has come on in the last 48 hours.

She is eating normal, pooping normal-ish (for a duck), and trying to drink water but won't throw her head back to swallow fully.

My fear is the bumblefoot *looked* resolved in the foot but the infection had already spread too far, although I can't find information and what those symptoms would be and if that's what I'm dealing with. I also read threads on botulism and I'm curious if that could be what's happening.

I'm ready to fly out the door to the pharmacy and tractor supply to load up on medicines but I don't have a clear treatment plan and don't know where to start. Vitamins E & B? Activated charcoal? A general nutri-drench?

Thanks for any and all help.

do you have any antibiotics on hand for your livestock? i keep a few kinds here for emergencies. i think amoxicillin is one that may help your duck, i’m just not sure, so i’m hoping another duck person arrives here soon.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/another-bumblefoot-post.1492463/#post-24896429

Pick up activated charcoal it’s a good one to have on hand. For toxins

Is there swelling or redness any where from her foot up to top of her leg? Can you get a picture?
Thank you @Miss Lydia & @Jenbirdee !

I gave her an epsom salt flush since I had it on hand which she took really well, and now I've got her on some electrolyte/nutrient solutions to keep her hydrated and replenished. Her legs and feet are actually the least of my worries, they look the best they have in months and she's walking more comfortably than ever. I only suspected it could be related because of the timing but no other signs point to it: no redness or swelling.

I'm starting to think she may be in some pain from a neck injury (not sure how she got it though). Her spirits are higher today. She's gobbling down food, drinking water, and yelling at me to bring her frozen peas. She just seems to be in discomfort with her neck. She'll go to do a full body shake but stop when it gets to her neck/head area, and doesn't want to tuck her head in when sleeping or rub her oil gland.

I have some anti-inflam/pain meds that I'm going to try to see if I can give her some relief. Thinking a combination of pain and general weakness from fighting bumblefoot may be where her tiredness is coming from. Honestly maybe she's just manipulating me because she knows how good she has it on her orthopedic duck bed indoors :)

Will keep you posted!

Thank you @Miss Lydia & @Jenbirdee !

I gave her an epsom salt flush since I had it on hand which she took really well, and now I've got her on some electrolyte/nutrient solutions to keep her hydrated and replenished. Her legs and feet are actually the least of my worries, they look the best they have in months and she's walking more comfortably than ever. I only suspected it could be related because of the timing but no other signs point to it: no redness or swelling.

I'm starting to think she may be in some pain from a neck injury (not sure how she got it though). Her spirits are higher today. She's gobbling down food, drinking water, and yelling at me to bring her frozen peas. She just seems to be in discomfort with her neck. She'll go to do a full body shake but stop when it gets to her neck/head area, and doesn't want to tuck her head in when sleeping or rub her oil gland.

I have some anti-inflam/pain meds that I'm going to try to see if I can give her some relief. Thinking a combination of pain and general weakness from fighting bumblefoot may be where her tiredness is coming from. Honestly maybe she's just manipulating me because she knows how good she has it on her orthopedic duck bed indoors :)

Will keep you posted!
@Miss Lydia

update: I am almost positive she has a nail/screw stuck in her throat. I was giving it a good massage and can feel something hard in there.

An emergency vet visit is an option and may be necessary but I'd first like to see if there's anything I can do at home to ease it up and out. It's not affecting her eating/breathing/drinking but I definitely don't want it to cause any internal trauma if she tries to pass it through her system.

I'd get her to the vet they may have to sedate her but you want it out before it goes into her system and causes metal poisoning.
I doubt you could use a magnet I don't know what else can be done.

@Miss Lydia

update: I am almost positive she has a nail/screw stuck in her throat. I was giving it a good massage and can feel something hard in there.

An emergency vet visit is an option and may be necessary but I'd first like to see if there's anything I can do at home to ease it up and out. It's not affecting her eating/breathing/drinking but I definitely don't want it to cause any internal trauma if she tries to pass it through her system.
oh no
that sounds painful and dangerous '
I hope you can get her to a vet

Back
Top Bottom