INJURED DUCK! Please help!!

xKaitlin

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2023
Northern Ireland
So almost a week ago, a fox attacked my 7 ducks and I thought i came out as it was just started since noone seemed to be badly injured. Although by the morning they were all silent and most of them limping. In the daylight i saw two of my babies had some sort of injuries that made them unable to move around or sit comfortably. I gave them water and food holding it up to their mouths as they kept their necks tucked in tight but unfortunately the next day i the two had died.

After putting vitamins in their water and keeping them inside with lots of food the other 4, except for one, seem to be doing really well and are mostly back to normal except more cautious and hide more. The problem is my youngest girl, 5 months old, is very shaken up and now i suspect her to have a bad neck injury / broken neck. She has only started eating, in the last day or two but cannot bend down to her food or water. I come out multiple times a day to hold a bowl of water or mushy food pellets in water and she manages to get some down her and can tilt her head upwards.

I have been putting her in the pond because she can just about reach the surface drink but is still not holding her neck up and keeping it tucked in, and so she hasnt been able to clean herself so is starting to look a bit soggy compared to her sisters.

She is going to the toilet regularly although it is a bit green, not sure if that info helps.

She also constantly has a tear drop below her eye?

IMG_5368.jpeg

I am a university student so I won't be able to keep coming home just to keep her hydrated and worry she is in pain. Or that is it cruel to keep her alive. I am happy to pay for a vet consultation but not sure if i can afford an xray or treatment if it really is broken.

I will attach a picture of her below.

were you able to thoroughly inspect all parts of her neck and surrounding area to see if there is a hidden wound?
From what I can see when she moves it slightly I can’t see any visible injuries or signs of feathers missing. I am too scared of hurting her to stretch her neck out to check right underneath

From what I can see when she moves it slightly I can’t see any visible injuries or signs of feathers missing. I am too scared of hurting her to stretch her neck out to check right underneath
I dont think she could move it at all if was broken... I could be wrong , but I think it's more likely to be a wound and if so it needs to be cleaned with saline and a painkillerfree antibiotic ointment applied , But wait until @Miss Lydia or another more experienced duck person comes on see what they say . Im sorry you lost 2 others and really hope this one will heal <3

I am sorry you lost 2 also. But you really need to look her over really well to make sure she hasn’t any wounds they can get infected if not cleaned and treated.
I don’t think her neck is broken either it would most likely be limp if it was, but I bet she’s very sore and there maybe a wound hiding under those feathers. If you find any wounds you may need to trim feathers back to keep it clean and keep the feathers from closing up as it heals. Check her over real good then post pictures if you find anything.maybe you can elevate her food and water bowl so she can get to them easier. I would not let my ducks Run around outside with out them being secure the fox will be back

I am sorry you lost 2 also. But you really need to look her over really well to make sure she hasn’t any wounds they can get infected if not cleaned and treated.
I don’t think her neck is broken either it would most likely be limp if it was, but I bet she’s very sore and there maybe a wound hiding under those feathers. If you find any wounds you may need to trim feathers back to keep it clean and keep the feathers from closing up as it heals. Check her over real good then post pictures if you find anything.maybe you can elevate her food and water bowl so she can get to them easier. I would not let my ducks Run around outside with out them being secure the fox will be back
I checked her over and we found a patch of missing feathers but all the skin underneath was clean with no cuts, except for a scab that was dry and seemed to be healed over.

I took her inside to evelate food and water to make sure she was warm and wasn’t competing with the others for food,

Now she is lifting her neck more but now when she breathes there’s a clicking noise , and after I held her for a bit she was shaking her head then threw up all her water - it was completely clear.

Her poops are still very green

I’ll get a video of her breathing

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I’m worried she’s now got some sort of respiratory illness, I can see through her nostrils but she’s been shaking her head and I’m worried as I’ve been feeder her water this week maybe some got into her lungs?

Or by checking her neck we’ve damaged her airways

I’m really worried

Back
Top Bottom