MissNutmeg

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Jan 18, 2017
Middle Earth
My Coop
My Coop
Good evening everyone!

It has been years since I’ve been able to log back in and touch base with this wonderful community!!

I decided to branch out and get ducklings today and I would like just some tips or suggestions of what y’all normally do to care for them other the basics such as food, waterers, and heat lamp!

How different is it from raising chicks?? Thank you!!

Also, here are my babies. ❤️

Attachments

• 980419C5-383B-45FD-BF22-CB9F5C5E0F8C.jpeg
    980419C5-383B-45FD-BF22-CB9F5C5E0F8C.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 19
Welcome back!

Because of their attraction to water, ducklings are far messier than chicks, so be prepared to spend plenty of time cleaning the brooder.

I've always fed my ducklings chick starter (if a company even makes duckling starter, no one sells it around here), but baby ducks need niacin. There's more than one way to add that, but I give my ducklings frozen peas, which are fairly inexpensive. That develops a lifelong appreciation for those veggies, and when the ducks are old enough to head to their baby pool, they love to go bobbing for peas.

Best wishes with your new arrivals!

Nutritional yeast is another way to add niacin when feeding chick starter. 1 tab per each cup of feed you give.
If you choose frozen peas make sure to thaw them under hot water rinse and smash. Plus you’ll need to offer chick grit if feeding anything other than their starter.
Your babies are precious
1711717225510.png

Back
Top Bottom