Ducklings

chik magnet

Songster
10 Years
Jul 3, 2009
Enid OK
I'm very new to ducks and don't know anything about them. But I'll be getting some soon, two to be exact, and I don't have the a clue what kind they are. My uncle picked them up on the after he almost ran them over on the road. When they get here I'll try to post pics, but till then I need some basic information on them like what they eat , can they live with my chicks, anything else about them?
smile.png

I don't know that much, but make sure they are warm and do not let them swim at first. Also, do not feed them bread, totally unhealthy.

First, ducks are unbelieveably messy. They have to have water to wash their entire head in. And they splash it everywhere. Depending on how old your ducks...(if under 6 weeks) they will have to have water 24/7. They cannot eat their food without water. They need water to swallow. Also depending on their age, your duckies will need to be under a heat lamp. I would suggest you read as much as you can on the duck forum. Do a search in the bar about different things you are looking for and i guarantee you will be able to find your answers on here. Plenty of pictures, and examples. As far as food, baby ducks should not eat medicated chick feed. Ideally you should get some sort of flock grower. Also, ducks need niacin. Go get some brewers yeast from walmart (vitamin section) and sprinkle it on their food. As far as swimming, I let my babies swim from day 3. As long as they are completely supervised, they can go swimming. They love it. Only let them swim for a few minutes...5-10. Then dry them off and stick them back in the heat lamp. Again its going to depend on how old your ducks will be. Best advice...start reading. When you cant find the answers, ask about specific questions. Its easier to answer specific questions instead of just tell me everything you know. Good luck. cant wait to see pictures!

So they can live with chicks ? I just hatched out some chicks so I've got the heat lamp gallon waterer little feed tray all in the brooder with the chicks. Oh yeah thats my only brooder so if I can keep them with the chicks that'd be great. Also why can't they eat bread? I have some chick starter and grower can the ducklings eat that ?

they can live with chicks if they get along...some people get ducks that pick on their chicks so you may have to brood them separately. Also, the problem keeping chicks and ducklings together is again the mess. Chicks get chilled really easily. Ducks will splash the water everywhere and you will have a tough time keeping your chicks dry. But lots of people have adult chicken and ducks live together. As far as the bread goes, ducks need balanced nutrition. Bread is pure carbs/sugar. They can eat it as a treat, but they like fruits and veggies much better. If you give your babies some peas, they will love you forever. My ducklings also loved mashed bananas. There is a sticky at the top of the duck forum about food. Its got everything in the list. Like i said, type your questions into search and you will surely find what you are looking for. Im pretty sure they can eat the chick starter/grower as long as it is unmedicated, and supplemented with fresh veggies/fruits, and niacin.

Last edited:
Bread can be a treat, but should not have it as a full time food. What type of starter / grower do you have? if it's medicated, it's bad for them.

The feed is not medicated. I will try to keep them together but if something comes up I have a tank I can put them in.

Well I went out to go check on the little guy, and he wasn't there!! He escaped my brooder . My brooder is in my coop and I loooked up and down for the little guy but couldn't find him.
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom