ducklings

bebeoreo8188

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2015
My husband about 3 weeks ago walked in my door and handed me 6 three day old khaki ducks...the people at the store sent him home with chicken feed and me not knowing anything about ducks trusting the store was feeding them only chicken food. Well about 4 days ago one of them just couldn't use it's right leg so I checked it out online to see what it could be. Found that it was from a niacin difficency I couldn't get to the store for a couple days so i substituted niacin vitamin pills in their water she started to get better after a day or two was walking very well just stumbled a little. Then they all started to stumble a little not to bad so I ran out yesterday and got bakers yeast and put in their water. Today they all are walking except the one that was originally having trouble and another one can't walk at all..also the two having problems also have skin peeling from their legs..I have completely cleaned their broader so I know they aren't getting anything molded...please help

My husband about 3 weeks ago walked in my door and handed me 6 three day old khaki ducks...the people at the store sent him home with chicken feed and me not knowing anything about ducks trusting the store was feeding them only chicken food. Well about 4 days ago one of them just couldn't use it's right leg so I checked it out online to see what it could be. Found that it was from a niacin difficency I couldn't get to the store for a couple days so i substituted niacin vitamin pills in their water she started to get better after a day or two was walking very well just stumbled a little. Then they all started to stumble a little not to bad so I ran out yesterday and got bakers yeast and put in their water. Today they all are walking except the one that was originally having trouble and another one can't walk at all..also the two having problems also have skin peeling from their legs..I have completely cleaned their broader so I know they aren't getting anything molded...please help
No please not baking yeast it will swell in their tummies It's either Brewers yeast or nutritional yeast please get rid of the water with the bakers yeast in it. The skin peeling is normal.You'll most likely have to go to a natural food store to get either of the yeast i just mentioned.

Last edited:
th.gif

Okay . . . .

What are they eating? Do they have food with water 24/7? Any other symptoms? Poop look normal? Temperature in the brooder? Type of bedding?

The store gave me scratch for adult birds its poultry and gamebird mix. They are using pine bedding not exactly sure the temp I have a headlamp attached to the side so they can get away from it. I'm not exactly sure what their poops suppose to look like

Back
Top Bottom