Ducks and Eggs...

Also had a question for everyone. When do you think my females will lay eggs? I wanted to hatch some for Christmas time with my daughters from our flock. I have 3 female ducks. 1 Pekin that is now 20 weeks. 1 Blue Swedish and 1 Mallard? they are supposed to be of laying age, the lady couldn't remember how old they are. I live in central Florida and our "winter" is 70's.

Ducks are usually mature and ready to lay at 20-24 weeks, so anytime now. They will usually begin to lay once they have the correct feed and lighting, which is usually in the spring when the weather becomes warmer and the days are lighter. I don't have any pictures of my ducks or eggs. My Campbell and Golden 300 ducks lay white eggs, and my Mallards used to lay green tinted eggs.

Three of my four Welsh Harlequins are laying daily. I don't know which one is not, but she either will start eventually or she won't. Our daylight lasts for eleven ours or less this time of year, so it could easily be spring before we see everyone laying. Our eggs are white or very slightly cream colored and a little larger than extra large chicken eggs. They make excellent pumpkin pies.

My little girls have just started to lay, but I have 4 girls and I am getting 3 eggs.

is it possible to tell which are laying?
Also I am getting 2 blue and one white egg, do the colour of the eggs they were hatched from mean that's the colour they will lay?

My little girls have just started to lay, but I have 4 girls and I am getting 3 eggs.

is it possible to tell which are laying?
Also I am getting 2 blue and one white egg, do the colour of the eggs they were hatched from mean that's the colour they will lay?
They usually lay in the morning, so go out and see which ones are on a nest.

thanks for the reply. i tried to do that this morning but they hear me coming (back door is jamming and it thuds when i open it!) so they jump up before I can get to the coop! There are 13 in total so even if one hears me the rest join in and gather round the door. better than guard dogs this lot!

Back
Top Bottom