Ducks and Garden Hose Concerns

Yup, I use a potable water hose for water to my auto waterer. It is one of the white ones often used for RV's etc.

I know that water that sits in those rubber / vinyl hoses often smells / tastes funny, and that's exactly what the water does as it waits to go into my waterer.

Nifty-Chicken -- The Consumer Reports article I linked to says that water that sat in a potable water hose tested below the EPA recommended levels. If your hose is inside in a relatively cool spot, I'd think it would be ok.

The flushing is a good idea, and works for the hoses that are used for regular watering and pool filling, but the hoses that are connected to the auto waterers are under continous pressure and are in constant contact with the birds drinking water.
barnie.gif

chel

OK, now I get it. Pressure isn't good.

But then at some point we have to make compromises. I mean you have the auto-waterer for a reason, right? Nothing in this world is ever going to be perfect, we can just do the best we can to minimize our exposure to toxins. I think you are doing your best for your birds and that is admirable!

Yet another article on the issue.

Specifically:
What's so bad about lead? Even small amounts can lead to brain damage, significant anemia and other health problems, especially in children. Because lead damage is irreversible, a safe hose starts to seem like a bargain.

and:

Many other hoses not specifically labeled safe ended up leaching significant amounts of lead into the water passing through them.

[emphasis added]

So I guess even a first flush isn't sufficient. Still, I'd like to test it myself.​

Back
Top Bottom