Ducks and Geese?

zchryjmsbnntt

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2016
Hello everyone!

So I am relatively new to backyard flocks. I got my first Pekin female ducklings in June of last year. Recently one of my girls passed away so I'm looking for a replacement. I've been tossing around the idea of either adding two ducklings or possibly a goose. My local feed store had baby geese for sale and they all flocked to me when I put my hand in their brooder so of course instantly fell in love. But I just had a couple questions that I'm hoping someone can help out with:

1) how are ducks and geese together? (I feel like this is a dumb question but you never know lol)
2) would it be better to purchase multiple geese rather than just one?
3) what breed of geese is the friendliest (I've heard many stories about mean geese and I kinda want to avoid that)? OR what breed is the most common and easiest to care for?
4) I feed my girls Nutrena all flock, would that be okay for an adult goose or do they need special feed?

Thanks to any help in advance!

Ducks and geese do fine together. But you need at least one more duck and at least two geese if you buy some. Both species are flock animals and need to have flocks of their own kind to be happy. Personalities vary from goose to goose, but generally Romans, Sebastopols, Americans, Toulouse,Pomeranians, and pilgrims are all touted as calm and friendly breeds. I can say from experience this is true for Romans, Sebastopols, and Americans. Some that are less calm and friendly be reputation are Chinese and by some accounts Africans. Nutrena all flock is fine for adult geese. They also should have access to fresh grass for grazing as they are grass eating animals. With enough grass they often won't even touch the feed.

Back
Top Bottom