Ducks are not laying...

lftdnpwrstrokn

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2015
Basselton Mini Farm, Newnan Ga.
As Murphy's Law would have it, 6 months ago we had more duck eggs than we could give away. Now that I have more customers, they have essentially stopped laying. A bit of a back story: we had 6 ducks laying eggs (no drake) and were getting 4-5 eggs per day. Struck up a deal w/ a local man to sell him every egg layed. After about a month, they started laying less and less and we weren't getting but a couple every few days. More customers wanting duck eggs. Bought 2 grown ducks, Pekin hen and drake and added them to the flock. About a week later, added another grown Pekin hen and 11 Anacona ducklings to the mix.

All egg production has essentially stopped. Took 6 weeks to fill an order for 2 dozen. Haven't had a duck egg layed in 13 days now.

I know they will slack off because of heat and molt. But, all 8 at once? Could it be stress from adding the other birds to the flock? I need some insight before I lose my customers. Thank you.

It could be stress. Some things that can affect laying - most of these can be called stressors -

heat
cold
change in environment
feeling run down
toxins in feed or water
threats from predators whether you see them or not
flock dynamics
parasites
natural cycles

It could be stress. Some things that can affect laying - most of these can be called stressors -

heat
cold
change in environment
feeling run down
toxins in feed or water
threats from predators whether you see them or not
flock dynamics
parasites
natural cycles

So just wait it out? As far as food/water go, I think we are good there. Nothing I can do about the temperatures. I think the predator thing isn't an issue either or we would have lost some chickens as they are free range (ducks are penned). Everyone is acting like they feel fine, but I suppose that could be a hidden issue. I know that I can't continue to feed 20 ducks that don't produce any eggs :(

Well, if it's parasite load, that needs to be taken care of. Our vet will take a fecal sample and have lab work done on it for not much money.

Nothing you can do about temperatures - how about you see if you might get them into shadier or cooler places? I don't know your setup - do they have swim water?

Adding new members to the flock can take some time for adjustment. How's the drake treating the ladies? If he's aggressive, that could affect laying.

Are the ducklings in with the rest of the flock? What's the dynamic look like?

With animals, well, most agrarian efforts, retooling goes more slowly than in manufacturing. I understand the feed-money relationship. And with a flock, there are variables we cannot control.

What's your square footage per bird? That affects laying and other behaviors.

Well, if it's parasite load, that needs to be taken care of. Our vet will take a fecal sample and have lab work done on it for not much money.

I will look into this.

Nothing you can do about temperatures - how about you see if you might get them into shadier or cooler places? I don't know your setup - do they have swim water?

They have a 350 gallon water trough w/ ramp and swimming dock that they were using daily. They have since stopped using it as well. The pen is under 2 large oak trees, so it only gets morning sun.

Adding new members to the flock can take some time for adjustment. How's the drake treating the ladies? If he's aggressive, that could affect laying.

I haven't seen the drake ever approach one of the hens. We got him and a grown hen and they pretty much stick together alone in a corner.

Are the ducklings in with the rest of the flock? What's the dynamic look like?

Yes, everyone is in together. They are more juvenile in age than ducklings (I mistyped). As a matter of fact, we have a drake who's tail feather has already curled. The Anaconas stick pretty much to themselves as well. The original group of 6 hens and one of the new adults intermingle, everyone else kinda sticks to themselves.

With animals, well, most agrarian efforts, retooling goes more slowly than in manufacturing. I understand the feed-money relationship. And with a flock, there are variables we cannot control.

Now this I can see being an issue. It is a 20 x 30 or so pen. We have added 14 ducks to this enclosure in a short period of time and they may be feeling cramped?

Now this I can see being an issue. It is a 20 x 30 or so pen. We have added 14 ducks to this enclosure in a short period of time and they may be feeling cramped?

That may need looking into, yes.

The swimming tank sounds nice.

That may need looking into, yes.

The swimming tank sounds nice.

The original 6 hens (actually we had 10, but flystrike got my Rouen drake and predators got the other 3) loved the pond. We clean it every few days. Add fish from time to time and aquatic plants for them to snack on. But, for some reason, about a month or so ago, they just stopped using it. As it so happens, it was around the time we added the new ducks.

It may be a flock dynamic thing, but I would not rule out something physical.

The fish snacks sound neat.

I treat my flock to thawed frozen peas when I want to offer a party atmosphere. Sounds goofy, maybe, but when introducing new flock members, something as simple as treats for everybody can help ease the transition.

You might also try just a little - a tablespoon per bird - of good quality dry cat kibble, see if that helps. Just for a day or two.

It may be a flock dynamic thing, but I would not rule out something physical.

The fish snacks sound neat.

I treat my flock to thawed frozen peas when I want to offer a party atmosphere. Sounds goofy, maybe, but when introducing new flock members, something as simple as treats for everybody can help ease the transition.

You might also try just a little - a tablespoon per bird - of good quality dry cat kibble, see if that helps. Just for a day or two.
We have given them the peas as well. And, if you really want a show, throw a handful of floating fish food in their water dish/pond (
). They go nuts for that stuff. I will try to offer them some peas as a treat and see if that will get them to acting right :) I haven't been letting them out to forage as much lately either, not sure if that has them upset or not. The girlfriend is the one that used to let them out to forage in the evenings and she is housebound w/ a cast on her foot; so they may be missing their run around the yard time?

This may sound strange, but could something as small as changing their feed routine throw them off? I have been doing some research and a thought has came to mind. They were accustomed to a morning/afternoon feeding. When we only had 6 the food was put into a dish, but w/ 20 I just kinda spread it across the ground. And, they are only getting fed 1 per day now. So, instead of 2 small, they are getting 1 large feeding. I work a 12 hour night shift and am in bed asleep when the sun comes up; so I have just been feeding in the afternoons before work. Think this combination of changes could cause them to stop laying?

Back
Top Bottom