Ducks attacked

CoDucks

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2022
So, this morning a fox was able to scale our fence and somehow open the back door of the coop where my 2 Ancona ducks were. We caught the fox on top of the fence and scared it off but not before it killed one of them. They were laying next to each other and the one who survived wasn't moving. I picked her up and put her back in the coop and secured it and have been watching her all day. She doesn't have any visible wounds, can stand but isn't moving around much. Got her to eat a few mealworms and drink a little water, but she is either injured or severely traumatized. She was breathing heavy and panting earlier but not as much now.

Any advice? She was born and raised with the other duck and they were always together. Now she is the only one left.

Yes, I have checked her all over and don't see any wounds. There was very little blood on the one that passed as well. I just realized she is not panting, she is trying to quack but has no voice, so assuming she may have a neck injury? She can hold her neck up fine and can stand, but has been laying down all day with her legs out behind her.

Yes, I have checked her all over and don't see any wounds. There was very little blood on the one that passed as well. I just realized she is not panting, she is trying to quack but has no voice, so assuming she may have a neck injury? She can hold her neck up fine and can stand, but has been laying down all day with her legs out behind her.
That is quite interesting behavior. Continue to monitor her. She may be fine in the morning. She could just be in shock, I had this happen to one of my ducks and it took her a while to recover. Again I'm sorry for your loss 😞

That is quite interesting behavior. Continue to monitor her. She may be fine in the morning. She could just be in shock, I had this happen to one of my ducks and it took her a while to recover. Again I'm sorry for your loss 😞
Thank you, I appreciate that. Anconas are such great ducks and so observant of danger and this time they just had no where to escape to.

Well, she is hanging in there. My white/silver Ancona, named Chicken, and the sole survivor of the fox attack. I put her in the tub today so she could soak while I checked closer for wounds. None visible, but guessing there was some injury around her neck as she keeps trying to quack but nothing comes out. She got one little squeak out today. She is drinking a small amount of water but isn't interested in food. She is laying down most of the day but will stand occasionally. Hoping she keeps improving each day.

How is your duck this morning?
Hopefully she has improved but seeing her sister murdered
I'm sure has traumatized her. So sorry for your loss.

That fox will be back no doubt about it, so make sure you have reinforced your coop so you don't lose this little one.

We have, somehow the fox was able to open the big door of the coop, but we have fixed it to make it much harder to open.

Chicken (the duck) is doing ok this morning. Still tries to quack but can’t. She’s drinking this morning and hopefully I can get her to eat something today. Thanks for asking.

Back
Top Bottom