Ducks & Chickens yelling all the time

bluesquaretatt2

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 4, 2011
My ducks & chickens are yelling all the time.

They have food & water, but they still yell! We raised them from babies and they used to live in the house for a while, but ever since they moved outside (3 months ago), all they do it scream! Now they have the chickens yelling all the time too!

They do not scream while in the house, but the poop is too much and diaper changing is difficult with the ducks since it is watery. (Home made diapers)

The chickens used to only yell when laying eggs or when predators were near, but now everyday about 4 times per day, they just start yelling for no reason and it lasts 15 minutes or so. It is unbearable. When we sit with them they stop, but I'm scared that we are bothering our neighbors.

Maybe if I ignore them, it will stop in a month or so. any advice would be appreciated.

Get some ear plugs. jk. Ducks like routine, and they don't like things switching up on them too much. They probably miss you and the house. Mine used to quack at me all the time, unless I was outside with them. I noticed if I was only outside with them for a few minutes, and I chose to go back in, they'd quack. I'd go back outside, they'd stop, stare at me, and go about their business. I'd hang out with them for a while, and then I'd go back inside and they were fine.

Now, it sounds to me like your ducks have imprinted on you. I would not ignore them. Try giving them thirty minutes or so of your attention every day. (Schedule at about the same time everyday and they may appreciate it a little more)

Could also be that they're getting ready to lay eggs. Are they about 17-22 weeks old?

We get eggs daily. Yes, they do like routine. We let them out eery morning, and spend time with them every afternoon, but they are still screaming. Even when I pick them up, they stop, then I put them down and they start all over again. I was told that they are screaming because there is no male duck here with them. Is this true. Do they need to mate?

thanks

It is not, I feel, that they need a drake. But they may look to you to protect them since there is no drake. Before you get in a hurry to find a boy, though, drakes can cause as many troubles as they resolve. Sometimes you find Mr. Right, sometimes you find Mr. Wrong.

My ducks seem content when they are in a very secure area. They make more noise if they are in a more open area and I leave their sight (as in emergency bathroom visits and going inside to get the scarf I forgot).

Back
Top Bottom