Ducks don't trust me.

A small kiddy pool might entice them to bath. That would help get their feathers looking better.

They haven't showed any interest in your hens I hope, So drakes will go after a chicken hen to breed when they don't have female ducks around and it can kill a hen since anatomies are very different.
At their ages maybe that won't be a problem. My Muscovy drake has never bothered my hens but he has 4 girls of his own. Beautiful place you have their perfect for ducks and chickens.
Why did the school have these ducks to begin with? Gorgeous boy too.

Well they were going to slaughter them, but never got around to it and after a while the ag teacher got attached and decided they needed a better home so he gave them to me. Also they tried to breed with my leghorns but they were too slow to catch up to them.

None of my muscovies liked to be touched-even the ones that were social with people. They seemed to find it insulting that I'd try. That could come across as distrustful. They'd rather dance with you, be fed or shown treats or just sit around nearby. They also recognize different people, so they'll remember if you did something they didn't like for a few days to a week, but meh, sometimes you've got to trim wings or do exams or worming, so they have to deal with it. Honestly, they act like good natured geese. Trust is shown by sharing space with you or chatting or dancing. My late pet drake liked to play in a bucket with my then two year old. He was very respectful and loved kids, but he showed it by just wanting to hang out quietly with them, not touch them or being cuddly.

Also, when handfeeding, my hands always wind up in their mouths, so I'm not 100% sure that's going to change as they get to know you. Their mouths are really big, and they're kind of sloppy and undiscriminating and clumsy, especially as their carnuckling grows. You can try bringing a bowl out in your hand and treating them from that if it bothers you. I really loved my pet breeder drake, but if I was handfeeding I could count on duck spit and I am still really glad they don't have teeth. It's just gross-like meeting a mastiff.
The other ducks we have (you know, actual ducks) are much better at hand feeding.

The chicken mating thing is a problem. I'd keep an eye on that. It's a cullable offense over here because eventually they will catch the chicken and there's a very high chance the chicken will get torn up inside and out and die. You should do what you think is best, but do watch.

Beautiful carnuckling on that drake. Nice and open face, might be easier for him to avoid frostbite than the big guy in my picture.

Back
Top Bottom