Ducks Still arnt laying!

Fisherlmiranda

Songster
Feb 25, 2018
Morrow, Ohio
Heres the original post that I posted back in June!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ducks-arent-laying-eggs.1319296/

But the ducklings still arnt laying, there isn't 18 ducks anymore. I got rid of all the ducklings that were drakes. So theres now 11 hens and 2 drake's. Theres still 4 nesting boxes in two houses. But no body is laying eggs :he it's so frustrating. Before all this happened (see original post) I was getting one egg a day from each hen and I built up a get amount of customers I had 6 regulars buying eggs. And I haven't had eggs since june! Help me!
20191003_101407.jpg

Are they laying eggs elsewhere? I have a hard time getting a duck to lay eggs in a nesting boxes like chickens.
No I dont think so, there are days I dont let them out to free range and they just stay in the 40'x40' fenced in run. And they dont lay. We have looked around just in case and cant find anything.

Now you face a different problem than you did in June. It's winter. We are less than a month away from the shortest day of the year, December 21. If you are not providing supplemental lighting, it is normal for poultry to take a break from laying this time of year. I don't have a single bird laying out of 9 currently (most are ducks). Once every week or two I'm surprised with an egg, but most girls are on strike until daylight hours start increasing again. This is normal. I wouldn't worry just now.

If you need eggs, supplement light, add 10 minutes a day (5 in the morning 5 at night) until you get to 14 hours, then when you have 14 hours of daylight stop if you like

Now you face a different problem than you did in June. It's winter. We are less than a month away from the shortest day of the year, December 21. If you are not providing supplemental lighting, it is normal for poultry to take a break from laying this time of year. I don't have a single bird laying out of 9 currently (most are ducks). Once every week or two I'm surprised with an egg, but most girls are on strike until daylight hours start increasing again. This is normal. I wouldn't worry just now.
Lol theres always conflicting responses with ducks I feel like. When I posted in June someone said that her ducks don't lay in the hottest months of the year...... also I'm supplementing with light. Its working for my chickens in the mobile coop. But not for my ducks in the run.

14 to 16 hours is the recommended amount of light in the duck book I have. I think metzers recommends 17 hours of light. If you bump up your lighting and they still don't lay them they're other things to look at.

Back
Top Bottom