Dumb question but ....

BigBlueHen53

❤️ Exodus 20:8-11 ❤️
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
Assume I know nothing about construction. And I have a little pile of 2x4's left over from another job. I don't want them to go to waste. Now I think, what could I do (or more accurately, have done) with these things? Idea! Build a dust bath for my girlies. Can anybody direct me to a simple plan that won't rock or rack or fall apart the first time it rains? I can't actually build it myself, but I have A Guy I can call who does small jobs for me if I can show him some simple plans. Is there an article here somewhere, not too elaborate, that would suffice?

Thanks!

Edited for spelling/typo. Why do I never see these things before I hit Post?!

Are you thinking just 2x4s?
I picture a square.
Each side of square will have 2+ pieces of 2x4 standing the tall way on each other. Sides nailed together to form the square frame.
I'm going to guess my fat hens take up a good 14" when rolling around in the dirt. Let's go a sold 24" square if wood allows.
How deep? First I thought 2 2x4s high, which makes in a perfect world 8" high. Most people don't know that the average lumber is milled less than it's named size. Two 2x4s might end up about 7.5". If wood allows, let's go ahead and triple the 2x4s to make them closer to 12". This in theory gives proper depth for chicken + sand.

So...if anyone follows...
You'd need 12 pieces of 2x4 cut into minimum 14" length but preferably 24".
3 cut pieces per side, standing tall on their widths. Don't worry about making these 3 side pieces connect to each other.
Use scrap wood like 1x1 to make inner posts that meeting corners will join by (another reason to go toward 24" length on boards.)
I count 24 wood screws needed.

So, @DellaMyDarling .... finished dimension is 24" on each side by approx 8" deep, give or take, based on the fact that kiln-dried 2x4s are not actually 2" x 4", right? And the 8" depth is achieved by stacking three 2x4s edgewise on top of each other, like, um ..... well, sorta like pencils, lol. Skinny edges together, in other words, to make these 8" x 24" "walls."

And I'm going to use scrap lumber like plywood or something as plate material to hold these walls together? And then use 1x uprights as stakes to hold them together in an open-bottom box? Am I understanding you at all? This is kind of the picture I'm getting...

Hmm. What about diagonals in the corners for shape and stability? What would you suggest there, or is that not needed?

So, @DellaMyDarling .... finished dimension is 24" on each side by approx 8" deep, give or take, based on the fact that kiln-dried 2x4s are not actually 2" x 4", right? And the 8" depth is achieved by stacking three 2x4s edgewise on top of each other, like, um ..... well, sorta like pencils, lol. Skinny edges together, in other words, to make these 8" x 24" "walls."

And I'm going to use scrap lumber like plywood or something as plate material to hold these walls together? And then use 1x uprights as stakes to hold them together in an open-bottom box? Am I understanding you at all? This is kind of the picture I'm getting...

Hmm. What about diagonals in the corners for shape and stability? What would you suggest there, or is that not needed?

Sounds about right although I believe three 2x4 on end will create a height of nearly 12" (again in perfect measurements, which lumber isn't so a tad less than 12".)
So for stability, you could indeed do a plywood bottom. Keeps much sand in too, but do consider drainage if you'll be getting wet.
I pictured taking 1x1 or similar and standing on end, one each corner. The two joining sides, made of 3 2x4 each, will be able to screw to the 1x1. One screw per 2x4, nice and solid even though the 2x4 stack itself is not screwed together at the individual boards.

You can make it what ever size you want, I just use a tubby I had with no matching lid to be found. Three 2x4's on edge will be 10 1/2" high they will be able to hide in there if they want. Mine "dust off" after leaving the dust bath. I use red dirt from the hill behind me mixed with some ash from the wood heater. I actually mill the dirt in my concrete mixer with some stones to grind it to a fine powder then sift it to remove any stones. My girls all watch close when I'm preparing fresh dust and as soon as I dump it in they all try and be the first one to use it.

run-06.jpg

JT

Back
Top Bottom