Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricaD

Songster
7 Years
Mar 28, 2012
OMG, I was telling a lady at work the other day that I'll be getting chickens this summer and plan to have lots and lots of eggs. I told her I'd bring some in for her so that she can taste how much better they are.

Know what she said?

Her: "Oh my GAWD, eeeeeewwwwww, I could never eat those eggs!"

Me: "Ummmm, why not?

Her: "Well, BECAUSE, they came out of a chicken's butt!"

Me: "Ummmmm. Huh? You eat eggs from the store, right?"

Her: "Well, yeah, of COURSE, but that's different!"

Me: "How is that different? Those eggs also came out of a chicken."

Her: "But those are all sanitary and come in a box."

Me: "I'll wash my eggs and box them for you too."

Her: "Blech, no way. I could never eat eggs from your chickens. That's just gross."

Me: "***?"

[Erica walks away shaking head]

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!

LOL, this is just too much. No wonder I want to quit my job and become a pioneer woman and never have to leave the house...

Oh lord people are so silly. At school I always bring eggs and people are amazied by how cool they look and how they actually taste like something! I recently started to kill some roosters to eat them and we also have 2 cows we are raising for slaughter. People are like how, "can you eat that poor animal! you even gave it a name?! How cruel!". At least I know my animals lived a happy life before they were eaten rather than caged and sent down the conveyer belt. I am happy that I have convinced some people to my ideas rather than the silly ideas they have about chickens and farm food.
You just have to name them correctly. For instance, my two pigs were named Bacon and Sausage. My turkeys were Thanksgiving and Christmas. I don't really name my chickens, other than a few of them, but I have a friend who names hers things like Original and Extra Crispy.

OMG, I was telling a lady at work the other day that I'll be getting chickens this summer and plan to have lots and lots of eggs. I told her I'd bring some in for her so that she can taste how much better they are.

Know what she said?

Her: "Oh my GAWD, eeeeeewwwwww, I could never eat those eggs!"

Me: "Ummmm, why not?

Her: "Well, BECAUSE, they came out of a chicken's butt!"

Me: "Ummmmm. Huh? You eat eggs from the store, right?"

Her: "Well, yeah, of COURSE, but that's different!"

Me: "How is that different? Those eggs also came out of a chicken."

Her: "But those are all sanitary and come in a box."

Me: "I'll wash my eggs and box them for you too."

Her: "Blech, no way. I could never eat eggs from your chickens. That's just gross."

Me: "***?"

[Erica walks away shaking head]

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!

LOL, this is just too much. No wonder I want to quit my job and become a pioneer woman and never have to leave the house...
You can't fix stupid, eh?

Today I had posted something along the lines of my chicken thought it was ok to follow me into the kitchen today on FB. (She is about 12 wks now, they are not outside yet as the run is taking forever to finish. I let them roost on top of their brooder so they can stretch and not feel cramped.) Well my family member was like OMG I can't believe you let your chickens roam around your house, blah, blah, blah. They smell horrible, the ammonia is strong.

Ok first off I don't let them roam around the house because I don't want any of them to get hurt and find surprise little droppings. I never said they roam the house it's just my one girl likes to know where I am so she thought she'd follow me into the kitchen. lol I put her back. I clean the poop up everyday and scrub everything down a few times a week so it doesn't stink. You really only smell the pine. People come in and say, "What kind of birds are those? They look like chickens but chickens smell and your house doesn't stink." My dogs are usually more stinky then the chickens. I wasn't offend by her post but she took it has I was. I basically just didn't want people to think I let chickens poo all over my house. lol I guess some people think they know everything!
lol.png
I'm finding a lot more people are against me owning chickens for eggs because they are just, I guess ignorant to the subject. All I know in the long run it's healthier and cheaper to have chickens make me eggs then to buy them from the store, especially when they are $4 for 18 and are NOT organic.
wink.png
Plus add benefit of having little feathered friends and my children learning about chickens.

Oh lord people are so silly. At school I always bring eggs and people are amazied by how cool they look and how they actually taste like something! I recently started to kill some roosters to eat them and we also have 2 cows we are raising for slaughter. People are like how, "can you eat that poor animal! you even gave it a name?! How cruel!". At least I know my animals lived a happy life before they were eaten rather than caged and sent down the conveyer belt. I am happy that I have convinced some people to my ideas rather than the silly ideas they have about chickens and farm food.

I have had the same conversation with people at work. Some said they would never eat them. So I made a quiche, brought it to work, and placed it in the breakroom. That quiche was gone in an hour. Everyone raved at how good it was. All I could say was, "really? I thought you would never eat my eggs". Another girl asked me if chickens could lay eggs without a rooster. I asked her if she could ovulate without a man. She doesnt really ask me questions anymore.

I haven't gotten any meat chickens yet, but my mother and aunt just can not understand how I could raise a chicken only to "murder a poor trusting, defenseless chicken". Keep in mind they have no problem going to the store and eating the chicken from there because "It doesn't have a name and they don't have to look at its face". My mother has even told my DD that "It's sad your mother wants to murder chickens. Won't that make you sad when she kills the chickens?". :barnie  It drives me crazy!!:he
See, I don't find that funny AT ALL. That would make me furious, and I would put her in her place. Its an AWFUL, hateful thing for an adult to go to a child, no matter the age, but especially if she's very young and to try and make her feel guilty, to turn her off eating what the parents see fit, and to try and pit the child against a child's parent. "Its sad your mother wants to murder chickens"??? Boils my blood. Just boils my blood!

Aha! I was wondering when someone would mention the same comment I use! People often still look confused when I explain that my hens can lay eggs without a rooster. They look even more confused when I tell them "I lay an egg every month". "What?" they exclaim. "Yes, it's called my period."

Ha! On the same vein, my father in law told me the other day that if I don't have a rooster all my chickens will be lesbians. I told him that if that's how they choose to live, more power to them!
lau.gif

You guys have have it SO EASY. Let me explain. We move to the 'country', 3000 miles away from our former home to embark on our huge lifestyle change. We find something that is roughly 20 miles round trip to the post office. We set up camp on our Fabulous Five acres and start aquiring livestock. Less than 3 weeks into it, Nosie Nellie sports her Hoveround, Lark (whatever) down our drive. SO IT BEGINS. These are exact quotes. "Where's your rooster? If you're gonna have hens, you have to have a rooster." No, to have chicks I need a rooster. "You cannot possibly free-range those chickens!" WHY? "You'll lose some." "Do you know how to candle an egg?" WHY? "If you EAT an egg with a blood spot, you can get VERY sick." WHAT? "You have to feed chickens grains. They'll starve if you don't. They won't survive." HA! "Your chickens are screwy. They range too far. You need to pen them." ??? "If you don't feed them layer mash, they won't lay." chickens... So, the entire garden that I prepared for the chickens doomed them to death? It is a new growing season. I would love to tell this woman to......eff off. How do I bring this well-meaning so-and-so to heel? She takes my eggs readily enough. "Oh, your Americana eggs are so sweet. Please, no duck eggs, they disgust me." She has even informed my husband that he knows nothing about horses (we have 5) and called animal enforcement on some unsheared sheep at a neighbors. Any advice would be....advantageous. Does anyone else have it this bad? AND....If you you do, in which section should I post this?
Hi, I would put a nice gate at the end of my driveway LOL :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom