Dumpster Diving-Garage Sale-Goodwill-Thrift Store & Craigslist Finds

Quote:
+
thumbsup.gif

I used to go dumpster diving years ago til the county opted to get rid of dumpsters for regular trash and garbage pickup. I would find bicycles in the dumpsters in good condition needing only something as simple as a new tire. A trip to Western Auto would take care of that. I once found a table with the glass missing from its center. Instead of replacing it with glass, I used sanded down plywood cut to match placement in the center of the table. I stained it and coated it with varnish several times and it looked beautiful. I now purchase my clothes from Goodwill, superb savings on quality clothing and other items as well. I miss dumpster diving.

I haven't been to the mall in years, but try to hit the thrift stores often, not only is it fun to find clothing from major names at really cheap prices but Knowing what I'm saving is priceless[ I could never afford to buy from Old Navy etc. at regular prices. My best find lately, a steamer to steam my chicken and duck eggs, if you've never tried it your in for a treat, egg shell literally fall off. Awesome...

Growing up my dad was a garbage man, and it would surpise you the great stuff he would fine a bring home. All of out funiture in our house was stuff that he found and brought home. It was nice stuff. He found so much good stuff that we had out buildings full of it and wqe would have yard sales. It work as an extra source of income. He retired a couple of years ago; bot do I miss those days.

So jealous of the kitchenaid mixer....I've been looking for one for years!!! If you ever find another, just buy it and PM me!!!!

I've scored tons of things over the years, so it would be very difficult to list them. The ones I am most proud of is my chicken coop (10x6) for $75, dozens of bales of leaves free and delivered (i compost), and my incubator complete with all the accessories.

I'm scour every yard sale, thrift store, auction and roadside for the following items: kitchenaid stand mixer, canning jars (can never have enough), cast iron cookware - especially dutch ovens for camping, clothing, and antique kitchen gadgets.

I love JUNKIN!!!!

What a fun thread! DH and I found a cast iron kitchen sink at the dump. Perfect condition. Policy is that nothing can be removed. DH asked the guy working that day and he said if we'll use it, we can have it. It is absolutely perfect in my canning kitchen in the barn.
lol.png
I have also been looking for a cream seperator. The only ones around here are flower planters now.
hmm.png
I wanted a working one. New, they are priced $400-$500. I found a 10yr old one on Craigs list for $40! The seller was afraid to sell it to me because she wasn't sure it worked and I lived so far away. I told her I'd rather make a $40 mistake than a $400 one. She sold it and it is mounted on my refurbished counters in the canning kitchen. Waiting to get lots of milk next spring when the goats kid. My last great find was a bun warmer. My mother had one when I was a girl that she found at a garage sale. She doesn't remember what happened to hers over the years. I saw one at a flea market a few years ago, but didn't buy it. I've been kicking myself ever since. Well, just 2 wks ago, my friend and I were at a thrift store and there was a hamilton beach bun warmer. I think it's called an oven server. $3.49. Yes, I snatched that up. My friend said she has seen them, but didn't know what they were. I started looking on e-bay to see about getting one for my parents. I found some, but decided to wait until after Thanksgiving to bid. Last night, that friend was at a Goodwill store and found another for $2.00! I know this may sound weird, to be so excited over a bun warmer, but there is nothing like a warm dinner roll out of one of these.
droolin.gif
Absolutely delicious and they don't get hard like from a microwave.

Back
Top Bottom