Dumpster Diving-Garage Sale-Goodwill-Thrift Store & Craigslist Finds

I furnished my first apartment by driving around and looking at the stuff people put out for trash. When I got married and we bought our new home not much new went into it. Some friends of ours were moving out of state and were about to throw out some furniture, we got a couch, chair, two end tables and a china hutch. Later we got a huge desk from another friend's parents (it no longer fit in the Mom's refurnishing plans). My DH parents were throwing away a table and 4 chairs because it was very wobbly, a little JB weld, wrench and elbow grease and its almost new, no more wobbling (the chairs didn't survive). We've gotten countless other items free or traded for them. Now our friends and family always ask before throwing anything away.

We also give things away to people who need it. We also started coupon clipping this year and our pantry is full and so is our deep freezer too. We have actually gotten so much cheap food that we trade it to others for the extra things they might have extra of.

Quote:
I wish that I had a yard sale buddy.
hmm.png

Me too. My Mom was mine, but since she died, I go alone, all the time. I miss having someone to share fun with. I have a couple of friends that yard sale also, but we cannot seem to be able to go on the same days.

Quote:
That's what I do too. I tried having a yard sale once, and ended up giving most of it away.
hide.gif
It was mostly baby stuff and I had a lady who stopped by, single parent, young, in need, no family around. She scored BIG at my yard "give away".
But, I've been in need, a lot, so if I see an opportunity to pass something on that I can't or don't use anymore, i do.

Just retired a year ago and want to build a shop so I can putz around. A friend from work put me on to some free insulation being removed from under the roof of a local high school....they were up dating the insulation and replacing the flat membrane roofing. I got 225 4'x8 sheets of styrofoam 2" plus thick for free. Love it! I have always been a dumpster diver....my wife thinks it's embarrassing, but that's OK.

Quote:
Collecting sewing machines is not wierd.
wink.png
I have a few. Found an old Singer treadle machine at a garage sale for $10. It has the original leather belt and works like a dream. Another collector offered me $200 sight unseen when I described it to him.

My main "junking" is collecting pallets and lumber, then reclaiming the wood for other projects. I built a coop inside the garage using all reclaimed or leftover wood.
The other "diving" I do is collecting the bags of raked leaves from the neighborhood. I bring them home, shred and compost them.

I think I may have crossed into hoarder territory.

Back
Top Bottom