Dumpster Diving-Garage Sale-Goodwill-Thrift Store & Craigslist Finds

It's amazing what people will just throw away. I ended up picking a dog kennel out of the dump the other day, was all excited and had plans for a future chicken run, but ended up giving it to and setting it up for an elderly lady that I know that needed one for her dog when she goes to town.
Best find so far was a 32 inch flatscreen, that had a wall mount still on the back, that was just sitting at our transfer station. The cord was destroyed (for some odd reason) took it home with the sole intention of using that wall hanger to hang my small one on the wall. I replaced the part of the broken cord and plugged it in, and it works, still does to this day (a year later).
I'm very guilty of dumpster diving, my sister in law live in a big college town so we always ended visiting her when the college students are leaving for the year, and throwing lots of good things away.

I have a habit of picking up lawn equipment and other items on the side of the roads (with owners permission). It amazes me on how many things are being thrown out that just needs simple things like a spark plug, clean fuel, fuel lines ect. Made quite a bit of money that way and still using a lawn mower I found like this 8 years ago. Also found alot of fishing poles, tackleboxes and tackle in the garbage as well as building materials such as lumber , good sized sections of granite or marble counter tops, cabinets from kitchen upgrades ect.

My wife yelled at me the first time I done this until I finished repairing the Item and sold it, since then she left me alone lol

Recently bought a really nice used purse from 'The Sak', off of ebay for $17. New ones run about $100. Looks great and I love it. Few years ago I bought another high-end leather purse for about the same price. Looked up their new ones, which ran for about $400 ! I also bought a black leather jacket for $20 (buttery soft, current style), a new with tags pair of Ariat western boots for $40 (new price is $120), and an almost new Wintec western saddle for $90 (new ones are $350 + ). I have pretty good luck with ebay, but my mom was a great dumpster diver. Still have some very nice furniture she picked up off of the side of the road. Back then she used to embarrass me, but now I see trash day as an opportunity to give something new life. She was a wise woman.

You're such lucky folk! I live in a small town and there are few dumpsters, and all locked. :( Anything on the side of the road goes to our little Habitat For Humanity if it's any good... As for garage sales, I have seen a ton lately! Hoping to see some I can stop at, rather than just while driving to work.

My coworker gave me these 2 lamps. I had been looking for lamps for my bedroom night stands. I had lamp shades already.

Lamp after putting the lamp shade on it. It's just the right height for my 3 feet tall night stand and matches perfectly.

Last edited:
I lucked up and found the hard plastic kiddie pools on sale at Dollar General for $0.80. Let's just say I bought every pool in my city from every store. The regular price was $8.00 and they were marked down to $2.40 and then marked down to $0.80. My ducks and geese will be VERY happy.

I love going to the local auction, and one time I found the perfect bedroom set. I know this is way too much for the kind of find you're talking about, but it was perfect, so I bid up to $800.00 on it and took it home. Later I was rummaging in a drawer and saw a maker's mark on the wood inside, so I googled it. Turns out my bed alone is worth $1800.00. The entire bedroom set is valued at more than $5000.00.

From the same auction I bid on a little end table that was perfect for this little area in a secondary bedroom, and I got it for $25. After the bid was closed, as the guy was wheeling it off the stage, he said "Oh, what's this?" and opened up the top to reveal it was actually an old sewing desk, complete with a 1927 sewing machine and all the original buttons, bobbins, needles, thread and other sewing goodies along with it.

Back
Top Bottom