Dumpster Diving-Garage Sale-Goodwill-Thrift Store & Craigslist Finds

I picked up one of these Brower brooders that was barely used for $75 from a guy getting out of the business:
13604_pg6aa.jpg

He sold me two Sportsman Incubators for $300 each (one went to a friend)

2 more huge brooders for $25 and $50

Dozens and dozens of metal feeders, waters, buckets, and 8 bell waterer systems for $75 total.

The man had put his daughter through school raising rare ducks, pheasants and quail. He was done with the stuff and I was in the right place at the right time.

You can imagine the chicken-loving grin I wore as we made 3 trips hauling that stuff home in the truck!!
wee.gif

I did a lot of dumpster diving at our local version of Goodwill. I found clothes for the kids that were in great shape and even a portable baby swing. It was like they kept the junk and threw all the good donations away. I had to stop because CPS called me. Apparently my son was bragging at school that his new sweatshirt was found when we were dumpster diving. The teacher reported it to the county and they called to see if I needed financial help. I just don't like to see things go to waste!

At a yard sale, I found a wonderful full size Kenmore mixer with 4 different size bowls, bread hooks and 2 other types of beaters for $10.00. Works perfect! At a church sale got a wire rabbit cage for $2.00 which we use as a broody buster.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

gig.gif

I don't mean to laugh but that was funny. Are you serious? CPS called you. OMG!!!

Is your son still bragging about your great finds?
gig.gif

I had a discussion with my wife and stepson once about budgeting. I said something to the extent of "We've spent this weeks cash. That it. No more spending. Don't even go to the grocery store. We have enough here to eat".

We weren't broke far from it. I was just trying to get them to stick to a budget.

Anyway a couple of days later, a woman shows up at my door with a couple bags of groceries because she heard we were on hard times.
roll.png
Talk about embarassing.

I explained it all and she left the food anyway.

Picked up a Granite Ware Jam kettle, which had a canning rack with it for $1.00. I had really needed a new rack. And I love the jam kettle! Hubby needs new Dockers dress pants, I just head on over to the Salvation Army. I've found barely worn pairs for $2.00. It's alot better than spending $45.00 on brand new like I used to do without even thinking.

Bread boxes make good nest boxes for silkies and other bantams, I buy them at Goodwill. I get plywood and lumber scraps from dumpsters at building sites(I ask them first ). Today I bought a pair of shower doors at auction for $2. One is already installed in my latest coop.

Wow! After reading all the the posts, sounds like I need to put it in gear and start looking harder. You all have found some awesome items. Good job everyone.
thumbsup.gif

I love my local thrift store on $2 wednesdays. You have to know when to go and what season, but I buy a lot of Coldwater Creek, Talbots, Jones NY and simllar all for $2. I got the heavy Williams-Sonoma potato ricer for a couple of bucks and tons of other deals. A stainless 3q pan with glass top and insert (it was $12) from WIlliams-Sonoma too. And a set of 3 camp covered pots (they are blue enamel ware and nest) Oh and a Sur La Table large stainless colander

Another fav was a free Cuisinart Pasta Machine, it needed a lid, that cost me about $20 but it sure works nice.

Back
Top Bottom