Dust bathing

In your opinion is 2 parts Texas sandy loom 1 part ashes from my wood stove good I put a small box in each of my breeder boxes today with this mix there outside but got quite dusty lol they did seem to love it though

I took sand from by a river, I put it in a disposable roasting pan. They love it!!! Most of it will end up everywhere besides in the pan tho.

Does anyone have a suggestion for what white quail can bathe in that doesn't make them look filthy? At the moment they have fine greyish/black sand and they look pretty shabby! Would yellow sand be better?

They do LOVE their sand though, as soon as I put some new sand in the bowl they hop straight in.

B

Plain old dirt out of the garden works quite well. If you moisten it a bit, your birds will dive in like there is no tomorrow!

As for dust bathing, all that dirt is what keeps their feathers and skin in good condition. So let them be dirty. :)

My quail LOVE playing in the dirt! I have an old soup pot (like 4 inches tall) in their pen and I have to refill it every few days because they play in it so much! You should have seen them when I first put the pot in there. I never knew you could fit that many quail in one pot!

Would potting soil hurt them? It has plant food in it and stuff and I'm just wondering if that'd be a problem. Or just straight ash from the wood stove?

Don't use the stuff with the perlite in it. Those little white balls. Not good for the quail. If you don't mind really dirty birds, wood stove ash works well.

Back
Top Bottom