Dusty Run

If it goes up pretty close to the red area, it's too covered up IMO. I think people overdo it on buttoning up runs, you really only want to block off the predominant wind direction(s). Unless you live somewhere where there's crazy winds from all directions, there should be at least 1 or 2 sides that are completely open or close to it.
We have insane winds. Mainly it comes from the S/SW but it will also whip from the N/NE. The coop blocks some of it, but then also creates a wind tunnel 🤦‍♀️ maybe bringing down that front panel would help though - thank you for the suggestions!

I scoop every day most of the time 2x a day.
Wow, that's a whole lot more than what I'm willing to do. My current setup is about 4 years old and this fall I "cleaned" it for the first time. And by that I mean I removed the top several inches of substrate, to use in my garden, because it was building up too high. So even that isn't cleaning per se, that setup doesn't need any cleaning and that's why I love it! The organic material mixes in with the poop and composts nicely. The run looks like a nice forest floor. Doesn't smell, either.

It does get some moisture when it snows or rains and it fogs up.
If it fogs up, then it's closed too much. The fog isn't from the snow or rain, it's condensation from the warm moist air that's building up inside the enclosure, hitting the cold plastic and condensing on it. Means the humidity in there is too high and needs to vent out better. Definitely open it up more. As long as the walls are covered around chicken level, so the wind doesn't blow directly on them, you can leave the top foot or two open.

Wow, that's a whole lot more than what I'm willing to do. My current setup is about 4 years old and this fall I "cleaned" it for the first time. And by that I mean I removed the top several inches of substrate, to use in my garden, because it was building up too high. So even that isn't cleaning per se, that setup doesn't need any cleaning and that's why I love it! The organic material mixes in with the poop and composts nicely. The run looks like a nice forest floor. Doesn't smell, either.

If it fogs up, then it's closed too much. The fog isn't from the snow or rain, it's condensation from the warm moist air that's building up inside the enclosure, hitting the cold plastic and condensing on it. Means the humidity in there is too high and needs to vent out better. Definitely open it up more. As long as the walls are covered around chicken level, so the wind doesn't blow directly on them, you can leave the top foot or two open.
This is really helpful for me as well. We've had our panels fog up a couple times, and I thought we left adequate ventilation. I guess not!

The run looks like a nice forest floor. Doesn't smell, either.
I’d love a nice forest floor! I bet it doesn’t smell. Maybe we need to rethink the set up. I don’t mind scooping, they are pets (to me at least :)) so I like spending time with them, but I like the option to NOT scoop and just hang out in the “forest” with them.
If it fogs up, then it's closed too much

Ok, so the front definitely needs to drop down. Which is wild because they have about 3 feet of open air roof space. They need more!

I don’t mind scooping, they are pets (to me at least :)) so I like spending time with them, but I like the option to NOT scoop and just hang out in the “forest” with them.
I love scooping, and I have a forest floor!

If I had sand, I'd be in there constantly. It's like one of those rock gardens that you rake, only with poop! 😂

I don’t mind scooping, they are pets (to me at least :)) so I like spending time with them, but I like the option to NOT scoop and just hang out in the “forest” with them.
My main flock are pets, too. But I still don’t like scooping 😄 Their feeder and waterer hold a lot, so the daily upkeep is mostly just to check for eggs. This frees up more time to just sit and hang out with them. Makes it easier in the rare instances when we travel, too - I don’t have to ask the lovely friends who offer to help, to deal with poop, and the poop won’t build up and stink by the time we get back.

And yeah, fog means the ventilation is insufficient. Think of your bathroom mirror. When you take a nice hot shower and the mirror fogs up, the shower water isn’t actually reaching the mirror. It’s the increased humidity in the air that’s doing it. If you open the bathroom door and leave it open for the steam to vent out, the mirror clears up. What I do is when I shower, I leave the bathroom vent on (the active ventilation that sucks up air and blows it out of the house). That way the mirror doesn’t fog up at all, and I can see myself when I come out, without having to wipe it. Ventilation solves the issue in both cases.

Back
Top Bottom