dwarf marans

if this is a true bantam Marans, then it is a valuable bird. They are rare and to have a bantam show up out of the blue is a very good thing. Contact other bantam Marans breeders and talk to them. I think, if this is the real thing, you have a valuable piece of genetics in this tiny bird. The strains of bantam Marans are very limited. if this is a true bantam out of possibly unrelated genetics to the other bantam Marans that exist, it could be very valuable in adding biodiversity to the bantam Marans gene pool. Check with the national Marans Clubs and find other bantam Marans breeders. send pics of your bird to them and have them evaluate it for you. Then decide to sell or breed it to one of their birds. This is not bird which should be taken lightly.
Excited for you,
Karen
Former Director of Archives
Marans of America Club

Last edited:
I got these eggs from a man who has raised Marans for years from eggs he personally brought over from France.

How do I contact someone in the Marans Club to ask about this little pullet? I have no idea who/how to contact anyone who would be in the know.

Thanks for your input!

How do I contact someone in the Marans Club to ask about this little pullet? I have no idea who/how to contact anyone who would be in the know.

Thanks for your input!

Well, well! They sure are lovely birds. Use http://www.ixquick.com search engine . Look up the Club websites. Marans Chicken Club USA and the Marans of America Club. Look in the Breeder's Directory of each club for those who are breeding bantam Marans. Get together online with several of them and share pics. Ask them what they think. Don't let anyone stampede you into selling this bird of they think it has potential. If you like the small Marans, maybe the best thing would be to get one of the opposite sex from one of them and breed some more of your own. Do tell them the heritage of the bird. It will help them understand it better.
Best,
Karen

Thank you for the information. This cute little pullet is now happily residing in her new pen with a month old chick to keep her company. They are almost the same size and the Marans is about 5 months old.

This is funny, I have a BANTAM chicken which is the same age as my other bantam but 1/2 the size xD Pretty much a Mini-Bantam

Last edited:
I have the exact same problem with a Tolbunt Polish Frizzle with a standard-size pedigree. It was the lone hatchling out of an incubated clutch of six (three others were viable but died at hatching-they were much larger in the shell than the survivor).

My little chicklet is now almost 8 weeks old and the size of a starling! Yet it eats and drinks well, is very active and healthy. My biggest question is what do I do with it? It's in a brooding box in my house with a Silkie-cross chick of the same age as a buddy (who is now four times its size). If it never grows, how can I put my little dwarf in the chicken yard with the "big girls"?

Thanks for your input!

I was wondering what you found out about your Marans? I have the same thing except I think I have a male and female, both EXTRA small. Both from full sized stock. The female seems to be slightly bigger than the male. I added photos. They were hatched Jan 5 2018 but are just slightly bigger than my chickes hatched on Jan 29 2018
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• C2BCA149-0134-4448-BB23-4821503F3D36.jpeg
    C2BCA149-0134-4448-BB23-4821503F3D36.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 2
  • 9B099CA0-E3F0-4836-B249-50069C8A28A5.jpeg
    9B099CA0-E3F0-4836-B249-50069C8A28A5.jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 2
  • 4CD2CF08-9FF5-491D-BE42-D210E26DCF9B.jpeg
    4CD2CF08-9FF5-491D-BE42-D210E26DCF9B.jpeg
    449.4 KB · Views: 2
  • CF8B05B1-1A3D-4CF5-BE5A-061CDDBCE6FB.jpeg