Dying chickens

I learned so much from your posts. So sorry you went through this horrible experience, but you probably saved a lot of chicken lives. I'm leaving my run just plain dirt.

I learned so much from your posts. So sorry you went through this horrible experience, but you probably saved a lot of chicken lives. I'm leaving my run just plain dirt.

That's what I was afraid that people would take away from this incident. It's unknown just how many chickens die per year from the unhealthy environment of a plain dirt run...that barren moonscape of over impacted earth that is devoid of healthy bacteria and fungus due to the inability to drain properly and the imbalance of nitrogen in the soils.

A healthy DL can renew those soils and help prevent the less beneficial bacteria and fungi from establishing in those soils, not to mention decrease the overgrowth of cocci in those same soils.

For this one incident of unfortunate conditions not typical to the ordinary DL, there are likely many thousands of flocks living a happy and healthy existence on well maintained DL in the coop and runs. One cannot take this one incident and say that bare dirt runs are healthier than cultured deep litter.

That's what I was afraid that people would take away from this incident.  It's unknown just how many chickens die per year from the unhealthy environment of a plain dirt run...that barren moonscape of over impacted earth that is devoid of healthy bacteria and fungus due to the inability to drain properly and the imbalance of nitrogen in the soils. 

A healthy DL can renew those soils and help prevent the less beneficial bacteria and fungi from establishing in those soils, not to mention decrease the overgrowth of cocci in those same soils. 

For this one incident of unfortunate conditions not typical to the ordinary DL, there are likely many thousands of flocks living a happy and healthy existence on well maintained DL in the coop and runs.  One cannot take this one incident and say that bare dirt runs are healthier than cultured deep litter. 

And I agree. I've tried to state again and again that our situation was the perfect storm of bad circumstances. Poop and moisture have to be managed in a run. I don't promote bare dirt. That's why we started over with pine shavings.

I so appreciate that, Terry. It would be easy to just blame the method instead of the material in a case like this but you've kept a sound head on your shoulders throughout this bad time and I'm in admiration for that. It's a hard pill to swallow to have chickens dying and not being able to prevent it, but you've kept courage and a sound wisdom throughout it all and I applaud you!

Back
Top Bottom