Dying rooster - How to care for him in his last moments...?

Vet is sadly not possible...
The only ones I trust are too much far away, and I am kind of scared to move Apache to their clinic : roads are really bad here, so I woud be afraid the ride alone would kill him (in his condition).

He is confined in a very small closed run for now :

View attachment 3724286

I hade made it very quickly not long ago with some metal panels I had laying aside, and...
...I first put Apache in there to keep him from moving too much - in case his condition would be caused by an injury in the back...

But since his walking problems stabilized eventually... I took him outside these last few days (in order to allow him some physical contacts with his friends), but only when the weather was dry : given he is now always sitting on his legs, I did not want him to be bothered and/or get sick because of the climate... you know?

But this morning, when I put him outside of his run... he was already emptying his bowels, and the others chickens began to assault him...!! (Even the other rooster, in spite of the fact they are BROS and have always been!)
(To me, clear signs that he was dying.)

For now, he is so paralized he can't get to the water... so I just gave him a mix of wet cat food and wet dog food to get him to eat - since he likes this kind of food...
(Wet cat and dog foods have water in, so I am hoping here the mix can get him hydrated enough to at least let him die without being thirsty.)

...Nevertheless - I don't know if it is because of the sunlight and the fact the weather is warmer now than this morning, but : Apache can move a bit better for now.
Indeed, he can "sit" again at least, and he is eating whereas he did not want to earlier!

(But since he still smells like Death... poor boy is clearly still dying...!)

...Sorry for you and your dog...!!
But what happened to him, exactly? Was somebody hitting him...?
Poor dog...

Yeah, some vets don't take their job seriously...

I had some problems with the vets nearest of my area, in the past...
...These people were seriously more butchers than vets, and so, I just don't want to go to their clinic anymore...

But my dog and cats' actual vets are very good, thanksfully!
Nevertheless, the ride is too long for now, and not only because road are very bad or my rooster could die at any moment now : it just snowed, making the roads so much more dangerous...!

I actually don't know if it is a good idea...

This morning, Apache seemed to be afraid of me.
Not anymore, but he was so weird - he is my most affectionate chicken, so it was the first time ever he did not want me near him...!
He never was a fearful boy : even the day I bought him, he was not as afraid as he was this morning...
So, even if he calmed himself, I prefer to leave him alone as much as possible for now : I just think it is better for him.
(But I watch him from time to time, so I can help him if needed...)

He can see his friends, so he at least is not totally alone!

I am so not culling him...

What if I am stupid and hurt him so much by trying to cull him his last moments will be in intolerable pain... because of me?
He does not deserve to be in more pain just because I would not know what I am doing if I decide to try putting him down...
(I never put down any animal!!)

But for now, he is doing better.
He IS still dying, but at least, he is - and clearly FEELS - better... I am hoping he is not in (too much) pain, at least!

Sadly, no.
We already eliminated this possibily...
(No Marek, no vitamins deficiency either, no mites or lices, no worms, etc...)

We were several to think it looked like an injury in the back, since his problem was first located hips-level...
But now that he is weakening throughout his boby... only an injury in the head or a stroke would make sense.
More so a stroke, since having never fight with my other rooster, an injury in the head would be disbelieving...

Actually, he would have been lucky to have Marek, since there would be means to at least relieve him...!

Honestly, I think my Apache just was destined to die from day one : he clearly was the weakest of the hatchings...!
Since I had brought him home last year, he constantly had problems...
and now, that?
Poor boy was born unlucky or something... Before him, I never had any serious health problems with my chickens - but him, he just was (and is) WEAK...

Oups...
too late...

He is getting better. Still dying, sadly; but he is sitting again now... (I think sunlight is doing good to him for now...)

So, I put him near his feeder, and I finally decided to give him a mix of wet cat food and wet dog food to eat if he ever could...
And he has eaten!
He did not want to this morning, but he has just now!

Here :

View attachment 3724315

I did give wet cat and dog food to Apache, because it contains water, and I want him to at least die without being thirsty - since he does not want to drink the water.

But did I do something stupid...?

He is. For now...

But he seemend to hallucinate or something in the morning, since he was terribly afraid of me... and I don't know WHY : he is my most affectionate bird. In fact, he is a DOG...!
...Can chickens hallucinate...?

By "dispatch a chicken", do you mean "putting a chicken down"?

I did look up some videos in the past - just in case I had to in the future... So I actually would know how to do that, but ONLY in theory!
But since I never did in real life... I can't.
I just can not pretend I really would know how to do that... If I miss or something, I'm pretty sure it would actually more cruel than letting him die alone...!

...I have a neighbour who could cull my rooster for me, but people around me tell me to NEVER let him do it, because : "he is a butcher" and "he likes to make animals suffer".

For now, I am watching Apache.
He is better than this morning, but I have no illusions : since he already has emptied his bowels, I know it is too late to save him.
The way he's sitting, he's got curly toe paralysis, a very fixable condition caused by Riboflavin Deficiency.

He's not dying.

Vet is sadly not possible...
The only ones I trust are too much far away, and I am kind of scared to move Apache to their clinic : roads are really bad here, so I woud be afraid the ride alone would kill him (in his condition).

He is confined in a very small closed run for now :

View attachment 3724286

I hade made it very quickly not long ago with some metal panels I had laying aside, and...
...I first put Apache in there to keep him from moving too much - in case his condition would be caused by an injury in the back...

But since his walking problems stabilized eventually... I took him outside these last few days (in order to allow him some physical contacts with his friends), but only when the weather was dry : given he is now always sitting on his legs, I did not want him to be bothered and/or get sick because of the climate... you know?

But this morning, when I put him outside of his run... he was already emptying his bowels, and the others chickens began to assault him...!! (Even the other rooster, in spite of the fact they are BROS and have always been!)
(To me, clear signs that he was dying.)

For now, he is so paralized he can't get to the water... so I just gave him a mix of wet cat food and wet dog food to get him to eat - since he likes this kind of food...
(Wet cat and dog foods have water in, so I am hoping here the mix can get him hydrated enough to at least let him die without being thirsty.)

...Nevertheless - I don't know if it is because of the sunlight and the fact the weather is warmer now than this morning, but : Apache can move a bit better for now.
Indeed, he can "sit" again at least, and he is eating whereas he did not want to earlier!

(But since he still smells like Death... poor boy is clearly still dying...!)

...Sorry for you and your dog...!!
But what happened to him, exactly? Was somebody hitting him...?
Poor dog...

Yeah, some vets don't take their job seriously...

I had some problems with the vets nearest of my area, in the past...
...These people were seriously more butchers than vets, and so, I just don't want to go to their clinic anymore...

But my dog and cats' actual vets are very good, thanksfully!
Nevertheless, the ride is too long for now, and not only because road are very bad or my rooster could die at any moment now : it just snowed, making the roads so much more dangerous...!

I actually don't know if it is a good idea...

This morning, Apache seemed to be afraid of me.
Not anymore, but he was so weird - he is my most affectionate chicken, so it was the first time ever he did not want me near him...!
He never was a fearful boy : even the day I bought him, he was not as afraid as he was this morning...
So, even if he calmed himself, I prefer to leave him alone as much as possible for now : I just think it is better for him.
(But I watch him from time to time, so I can help him if needed...)

He can see his friends, so he at least is not totally alone!

I am so not culling him...

What if I am stupid and hurt him so much by trying to cull him his last moments will be in intolerable pain... because of me?
He does not deserve to be in more pain just because I would not know what I am doing if I decide to try putting him down...
(I never put down any animal!!)

But for now, he is doing better.
He IS still dying, but at least, he is - and clearly FEELS - better... I am hoping he is not in (too much) pain, at least!

Sadly, no.
We already eliminated this possibily...
(No Marek, no vitamins deficiency either, no mites or lices, no worms, etc...)

We were several to think it looked like an injury in the back, since his problem was first located hips-level...
But now that he is weakening throughout his boby... only an injury in the head or a stroke would make sense.
More so a stroke, since having never fight with my other rooster, an injury in the head would be disbelieving...

Actually, he would have been lucky to have Marek, since there would be means to at least relieve him...!

Honestly, I think my Apache just was destined to die from day one : he clearly was the weakest of the hatchings...!
Since I had brought him home last year, he constantly had problems...
and now, that?
Poor boy was born unlucky or something... Before him, I never had any serious health problems with my chickens - but him, he just was (and is) WEAK...

Oups...
too late...

He is getting better. Still dying, sadly; but he is sitting again now... (I think sunlight is doing good to him for now...)

So, I put him near his feeder, and I finally decided to give him a mix of wet cat food and wet dog food to eat if he ever could...
And he has eaten!
He did not want to this morning, but he has just now!

Here :

View attachment 3724315

I did give wet cat and dog food to Apache, because it contains water, and I want him to at least die without being thirsty - since he does not want to drink the water.

But did I do something stupid...?

He is. For now...

But he seemend to hallucinate or something in the morning, since he was terribly afraid of me... and I don't know WHY : he is my most affectionate bird. In fact, he is a DOG...!
...Can chickens hallucinate...?

By "dispatch a chicken", do you mean "putting a chicken down"?

I did look up some videos in the past - just in case I had to in the future... So I actually would know how to do that, but ONLY in theory!
But since I never did in real life... I can't.
I just can not pretend I really would know how to do that... If I miss or something, I'm pretty sure it would actually more cruel than letting him die alone...!

...I have a neighbour who could cull my rooster for me, but people around me tell me to NEVER let him do it, because : "he is a butcher" and "he likes to make animals suffer".

For now, I am watching Apache.
He is better than this morning, but I have no illusions : since he already has emptied his bowels, I know it is too late to save him.
A quick kill is not hurting the bird. Letting them die slowly is hurting them. If your neighbor is really a butcher, by that I mean someone who culls animals and butchers them for consumption, then he would be the best one to help you. Butchers do not torture the animals they butcher, it is a quick kill so they can use the meat. I understand you won't be eating this chicken, all I'm saying is his death will be much quicker than the torture you are putting him through. Sorry to be blunt but it's our job as chicken tenders to make sure our animals do not suffer. And, from what you have posted, this chicken is suffering. Good luck to you

The way he's sitting, he's got curly toe paralysis, a very fixable condition caused by Riboflavin Deficiency.

He's not dying.

Could have been... if he had not been already treated for that.
Which is why Riboflavin Deficiency was elimated from possible causes...

Just in case, I actually gave him a mix of vitamins - including B - AGAIN... and his condition did not improve in spite of that.

He sadly is dying.
When an animal empties its bowels AND smell like death, it dies not long after...

If your neighbor is really a butcher, by that I mean someone who culls animals and butchers them for consumption, then he would be the best one to help you.

Hmm... No. Sorry.
Maybe a language error on my part...?

In my country, we designate like "butchers" the ones who voluntarily hurt animals when they kill them, or torture animals for pleasure... or the surgeons who (like to) do really bad, bloody things when they are operating instead of just doing their job correctly...

Sorry to be blunt but it's our job as chicken tenders to make sure our animals do not suffer.

Of course you can be blunt.
And, of course : you ARE right!

And, from what you have posted, this chicken is suffering.

I... actually don't know anymore...

He was whining some days ago, so I thought he was hurting.
(I gave him some things to relieve him from his pain.)

But he has stopped whining for now,
and... I don't know : he was weird this morning, but he was getting better and better in the afternoon; and after eating wet cat (and dog) food, he moved a bit to eat the Premium Mix for poultry in his feeder!
A first since yesterday...! (Knowing it's between 4 and 5 p.m. here in France for now, so it's the end of the day for Apache!)

...I am just coming from his run, and I can not tell if he is in pain : he does not tell me, and does not feel or sound like he is anymore...
(So I actually am not sure if he CAN still FEEL pain in his condition... I am worried about that, but only because I would prefer him to heal and not die. I nevertheless think it would be better if he is not hurting, so...)

Sadly, he keeps smelling like a dying animal, so I clearly could find him dead tomorrow... I hope not, because he really is my favorite; but life is life, and sometimes, there is nothing we can do to save a life...

Could have been... if he had not been already treated for that.
Which is why Riboflavin Deficiency was elimated from possible causes...

Just in case, I actually gave him a mix of vitamins - including B - AGAIN... and his condition did not improve in spite of that.

He sadly is dying.
When an animal empties its bowels AND smell like death, it dies not long after...

Hmm... No. Sorry.
Maybe a language error on my part...?

In my country, we designate like "butchers" the ones who voluntarily hurt animals when they kill them, or torture animals for pleasure... or the surgeons who (like to) do really bad, bloody things when they are operating instead of just doing their job correctly...

Of course you can be blunt.
And, of course : you ARE right!

I... actually don't know anymore...

He was whining some days ago, so I thought he was hurting.
(I gave him some things to relieve him from his pain.)

But he has stopped whining for now,
and... I don't know : he was weird this morning, but he was getting better and better in the afternoon; and after eating wet cat (and dog) food, he moved a bit to eat the Premium Mix for poultry in his feeder!
A first since yesterday...! (Knowing it's between 4 and 5 p.m. here in France for now, so it's the end of the day for Apache!)

...I am just coming from his run, and I can not tell if he is in pain : he does not tell me, and does not feel or sound like he is anymore...
(So I actually am not sure if he CAN still FEEL pain in his condition... I am worried about that, but only because I would prefer him to heal and not die. I nevertheless think it would be better if he is not hurting, so...)

Sadly, he keeps smelling like a dying animal, so I clearly could find him dead tomorrow... I hope not, because he really is my favorite; but life is life, and sometimes, there is nothing we can do to save a life...
How long have you been treating him for it, & what were you using to treat it? For severe cases I give multiple doses in a single day. 1-2 capsules mixed in wet mash(each feeding), plus direct dosing every few hours with one capsule.

Can take several weeks, even a month, or two to cure it.

I also did Daily exercises with the legs so they don't lose muscle mass.

...This evening, I put Apache to sleep in his coop.
I had to do it myself, since the poor boy has NOT been able to enter in the coop by himself for several days...

But : just after I put him to sleep, Apache decided to get out of the coop. By himself!!
Knowing it is the first time, since several days, he has got out of the coop by himself... since, again : he just could NOT! Indeed : I had to get him out myself every morning!!!

Why would my paralized rooster get out of his coop just before the night...?
...To say goodbye to his friends. (I am persuaded...)

Not the first time I see chickens telling goodbyes to others when one is dying...

I hope I am wrong, and I feel so bad for that...

I will see tomorrow if Apache is dead or not.
If he die tonight, he at least will be warm... for what it's worth...

How long have you been treating him for it, & what were you using to treat it? For severe cases I give multiple doses in a single day. 1-2 capsules mixed in wet mash(each feeding), plus direct dosing every few hours with one capsule.

Can take several weeks, even a month, or two to cure it.

I gave my chickens a Multivitamin Juice made specifically for poultry, precisely because I was worried about Riboflavin Deficiency - and so, I wanted to prevent it...
(Of course, there is therefore Ribloflavin in this Multivitamin Juice.)

I don't remember for how long exactly, but I know it has been for MORE than 2 months : indeed, I ultimately emptied the bottle.

...But what did I give to Apache since then...?
Vitamin B2... certainly too much, but when we are desperate, you know...?
...I also did give him food sources of Riblofavin, such as eggs, yogurts, meat... some herbs and spices high in Vitamin B2...

Did not help him, sadly...
I was hoping at least cooked eggs would be enough to do the trick, but I was wrong...

I also did Daily exercises with the legs so they don't lose muscle mass.

I did not.
Because I first thought his back probably was the cause of his paralisis, and so, that Apache should not move for some days...

But I was not worried about him losing muscle mass, because he has been walking during his confinement... just very badly...

And just when I thought I should begin to play physiotherapist, the poor boy has emptied his bowels and has smelled like death since then...

Best medicine for a flock is a hatchet and stump.

I never did kill any animal...
I am much too cowarly to try for now : I am not ready for that, and not only because of my phobia of corpses...
Indeed : I am, really, VERY afraid to miss, and so, to cause unnecessary pain...

Last edited:
I had to do it myself, since the poor boy has NOT been able to enter in the coop by himself for several days...

But : just after I put him to sleep, Apache decided to get out of the coop. By himself!!
Knowing it is the first time, since several days, he has got out of the coop by himself... since, again : he just could NOT! Indeed : I had to get him out myself every morning!!!

Not the first time I see chickens telling goodbyes to others when one is dying...

I gave my chickens a Multivitamin Juice made specifically for poultry, precisely because I was worried about Riboflavin Deficiency - and so, I wanted to prevent it...

I don't remember for how long exactly, but I know it has been for MORE than 2 months : indeed, I ultimately emptied the bottle.

...I also did give him food sources of Riblofavin, such as eggs, yogurts, meat... some herbs and spices high in Vitamin B2...

I was hoping at least cooked eggs would be enough to do the trick, but I was wrong...

I did not.
Because I first thought his back probably was the cause of his paralisis, and so, that Apache should not move for some days...

But I was not worried about him losing muscle mass, because he has been walking during his confinement... just very badly...

And just when I thought I should begin to play physiotherapist, the poor boy has emptied his bowels and has smelled like death since then...

I am much too cowarly to try for now : I am not ready for that, and not only because of my phobia of corpses...
Indeed : I am, really, VERY afraid to miss, and so, to cause unnecessary pain...
It sounds like Apache is getting better. I’m sure he will get well soon. I am praying he will

I’m very sorry about your boy. It sounds like you’re doing what you’re able, since you can’t get him to a vet. All that I really have to add is keep him warm… even if you need to move him inside somewhere. The cold is probably uncomfortable for him. And, don’t put him back with the chickens anymore. Also, clean him up. He probably smells due to sitting in his own poo. Listen to what the others suggest about vitamin deficiency and treat him accordingly. He may be in such bad condition mainly due to 3 things… injury, malnutrition and cold. I wish you well. Continue with the updates.

I did not.

It's best to use high doses of pure b2 vitamins, & it's impossible to overdose it. Poultry vitamins often lack enough of it. This is what I used for my two affected birds that I cured early last year.
17050911952602548166668209922226.jpg
17050912282248506864586813694320.jpg
As for death poop, I had a dying pet hen in 2022, & she never had a funk. I kept her comfortable during her dying process, & she passed in my arms on Thanksgiving day.
She actually ate her final meal the day before she started dying, crop was still full, a sign her digestive tract had shut down.

Back
Top Bottom