Dying rooster - How to care for him in his last moments...?

Pics
I’m very happy that Apache is improving! 😊 Thank you for keeping us updated and posting photos. He looks like he feels much better. ❤️ I’m looking forward to following your journey with him. You have such a caring heart. 😊❤️ Apache is a beautiful lucky rooster. You obviously have done all that’s been necessary for him, and it shows through his improvement. Also, thank you for sharing Apaches story. It can help others in the future with similar situations.

Thank you!

I have put Apache to sleep two hours ago.

He could stand on his feet several times today - even if he could not stand high.

But he is clearly recovering his strength, given he could even WALK! Just a bit, and he actually was more crawling than really walking... but he could, and that's amazing.
(Nevertheless, walking takes clearly a lot of energy - for the time being -, since the last time he did today, he was out of breath...)

For the first time for several days, he has also been able to sit NORMALLY on his legs when I put him to sleep in his coop!!
(...AND BEFORE THAT, TODAY : HE COULD ARCH HIS BACK - AT LEAST ONCE!! WHAT HE HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO DO FOR MUCH TOO LONG!!!)

That's a very big improvement, so I trust he is healing superbly. Even faster than I thought would be possible...!

He ALMOST does not even panically flip his wings anymore, so... looks like a big progress to me?! And so fast, seriously...

Hello.

One of my Brahma rooster - my favorite, named Apache le Colosse - is dying.
(He is only around one-year-old.)

For some weeks now, he has been getting more and more paralyzed...

By elimination, and after all the care he had, there are only 3 causes possible :
1 -
an injury in his back,
2 - an injury in his head,
3 - (the aftermath) of a stroke.

I was previously persuaded it was certainly an injury in his back for two reasons : not only did he NOT fight with Rocky, my other rooster - so no risk to be injured in his head -; but he also had been getting better for the last days...
So, an injury in his back was logical to me...

Nevertheless, I understand now he was not actually healing these last days : indeed, it was actually, clearly, only the famous "energy boost" before death.

Since, this morning, Apache was finally in his worst condition ever!
Poor boy is clearly dying, since he has even been emptying his bowels...
(And I know this smell : it is Death.)

(So, Apache is very probably suffering from the aftermath of a stroke...)

...What do I know now?
He can't move anymore...

Here is how he is for now :

View attachment 3724254

And :

View attachment 3724255

He actually looks BETTER than ever if we only look at his face, since he is redder - normalish red - than these last weeks.
Indeed : yesterday, his comb was purple - what I now know being from frostbite -; today, his comb is a healthy red...
(...Why is Apache's purple-frobisted comb be so red now, just before his death?!)
Given he can not move anymore, he can obviously not eat or drink anymore... He actually do not want to eat OR drink...

...What can I do for him...?

I really can NOT put him down :
not only have I a terrible phobia of corpses, but even if it was not a problem for me... I NEVER put down an animal. I don't know HOW to do that, so I'm too much afraid I would miss and, ultimately, cause severe pain to Apache...

...I am not hand-feeding him for now, because he could be suffering... and I feel prolonging the inevitable, if it IS possible, would be cruel if he really is in pain - especially since it's winter, and the cold would then aggravate his pain...

But what do YOU think I should do?
What would YOU do...?

He is dying.
He can't be saved anymore...

How to care for him in his last momemts, so he could at least die as comfortably as possible?
Do I put him in his coop, so he can stay warm...?
Do I let him outside, so he can see his friends...?
Do I force him to drink water at least...?
...?
He's probably more miserable now than he would be if you did take action. I'm so sorry for you. I had a hen who this happened to and I narrowed it down to merrics disease. She was fully paralized. Honestly though I learned it's more humane to take action than not😓. Again, sorry.

Thank you!

I have put Apache to sleep two hours ago.

He could stand on his feet several times today - even if he could not stand high.

But he is clearly recovering his strength, given he could even WALK! Just a bit, and he actually was more crawling than really walking... but he could, and that's amazing.
(Nevertheless, walking takes clearly a lot of energy - for the time being -, since the last time he did today, he was out of breath...)

For the first time for several days, he has also been able to sit NORMALLY on his legs when I put him to sleep in his coop!!
(...AND BEFORE THAT, TODAY : HE COULD ARCH HIS BACK - AT LEAST ONCE!! WHAT HE HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO DO FOR MUCH TOO LONG!!!)

That's a very big improvement, so I trust he is healing superbly. Even faster than I thought would be possible...!

He ALMOST does not even panically flip his wings anymore, so... looks like a big progress to me?! And so fast, seriously...
Thank you for such terrific updates! 😊 Since Apache is standing more and more on his own (also walking), it does indicate that his strength is improving. A very positive development. As long as he continues to eat and drink more normally, and he’s warm and dry at night (along with the treatment you’re giving him), I think he will continue to improve. I’m happy for you and your beautiful rooster. ❤️ Perhaps you will plan to keep him. 😊 I think the outcome would have been very sad without your care. You fought to save his life, and he’s been strong enough to fight through the illness. We are here for advice and support whenever you need us.

Seems like Riboflavin rich foods are doing the trick.

Be careful with the painkillers, chickens are very sensitive/delicate with certain medications. Aspirin can cause internal bleeding if given for too long, for example. Even if it's a half, or quarter of low dose baby aspirin.

Hi!

Today, Apache is already feeling better than YESTERDAY!

I have got him out of his coop earlier than usual, since weather is gray, but not cold today - and not rain for now...

He could already stand, and walk (crawl) a bit... and the day is just beginning!!
He also clearly was sleeping confortably in his coop, so...

...And now, he is eating.

Here :

DSC09451.JPG

In the bowl is a mix of :
- wet cat food,
- 3 yolks,
- semolina (...is it the word?),
- Multivitamin Juice for Poultry (including B2 of course!);
- powdered ginger,
- powdered pepper,
- powdered garlic,
- a painkiller (but only half than I gave these last days).

Is Apache still with us? In America, “Put to Sleep” means to cull ☹️

Sorry : I didn't know!!

Yes, Apache is still alive, and amazingly getting better!
He is a fighter!!

Be careful with the painkillers, chickens are very sensitive/delicate with certain medications. Aspirin can cause internal bleeding if given for too long, for example. Even if it's a half, or quarter of low dose baby aspirin.

Thank you.

Yes, I'm being careful.
I don't give Aspirin, because I don't know if an animal is not bleeding internally, you know...?
So, just in case, I NEVER use Aspirin.

I am giving the only painkiller I found in my house.
But I gave more than necessera, because apparently, if I gave too much, Apache could have liver issues (yes, I know; but I also know HOW to heal a liver)... but if I don't give him enough, the painkiller won't work...?
So, I am being careful, but also by giving him enough painkiller...

For now, he is getting better, so...

Thank you for your advice!!

Hi!

Apache is better again today!!!

He has more strenght, and more weight on him... and is redder - totally healthy looking...!!
He also poops more - that is important, since it is clearly a sign he eat more, and is feeling better...

Also : his poop, amazingly, does not even smell like death anymore!! (Smell bad, but not "death-bad"...)

I got him out of his RUN in the morning... but not long, because I need to keep him isolated from the other chickens to allow him to eat his food without it being stolen by his friends...

But he was out, and NONE of the chickens assaulted him! Not even Rocky - my other rooster...!!
So : the chickens also clearly feel Apache is healing...

I'm so happy...!!

I even just put in his bowl (containing wet dog food, Multivitamin Juice, cooked eggs, and yolks) some of Premium Mix for Poultry... and he is eating!
(Premium Mix for Poultry is actually his favorite, but I had stopped feeding him it since I thought it was better for him to eat wet pet food in priority...
But now, since he is feeling better, and I AM looking after him so I can be assured he stays hydrated... I think that's time I also gave him some real "chikens' food" again...)

Left like that, I think I will SOON be able to start physical rehabilitation for Apache...!!!

After what, when he has MORE strenght than now - of course -, I will bath him...
(I am waiting for now, since I don't want to overwhelm him by "putting" too much on him, and so stress him unnecessarily...)

...Thanks God!

(Also, I just send a message to the man I promised to give Apache to...
I told him I am keeping him for now : since he is feeling better, I'm very afraid moving Apache in a new home would actually make him worse again...
Indeed : I clearly need to be the one treating him, since MY method works for now...
...So I prefer to keep him - even if my garden is not flat enough for such a disabled rooster, or if the entrance of his coop is not big enough for him to get inside of his coop without assistance... because whatever : I am here for my lovely rooster, so I will keep helping him personally, and try to ease his life as much as possible...!
And I will HEAL him!)

Hi!

Apache is better again today!!!

He has more strenght, and more weight on him... and is redder - totally healthy looking...!!
He also poops more - that is important, since it is clearly a sign he eat more, and is feeling better...

Also : his poop, amazingly, does not even smell like death anymore!! (Smell bad, but not "death-bad"...)

I got him out of his RUN in the morning... but not long, because I need to keep him isolated from the other chickens to allow him to eat his food without it being stolen by his friends...

But he was out, and NONE of the chickens assaulted him! Not even Rocky - my other rooster...!!
So : the chickens also clearly feel Apache is healing...

I'm so happy...!!

I even just put in his bowl (containing wet dog food, Multivitamin Juice, cooked eggs, and yolks) some of Premium Mix for Poultry... and he is eating!
(Premium Mix for Poultry is actually his favorite, but I had stopped feeding him it since I thought it was better for him to eat wet pet food in priority...
But now, since he is feeling better, and I AM looking after him so I can be assured he stays hydrated... I think that's time I also gave him some real "chikens' food" again...)

Left like that, I think I will SOON be able to start physical rehabilitation for Apache...!!!

After what, when he has MORE strenght than now - of course -, I will bath him...
(I am waiting for now, since I don't want to overwhelm him by "putting" too much on him, and so stress him unnecessarily...)

...Thanks God!

(Also, I just send a message to the man I promised to give Apache to...
I told him I am keeping him for now : since he is feeling better, I'm very afraid moving Apache in a new home would actually make him worse again...
Indeed : I clearly need to be the one treating him, since MY method works for now...
...So I prefer to keep him - even if my garden is not flat enough for such a disabled rooster, or if the entrance of his coop is not big enough for him to get inside of his coop without assistance... because whatever : I am here for my lovely rooster, so I will keep helping him personally, and try to ease his life as much as possible...!
And I will HEAL him!)
This is Wonderful news!!! I'm so happy for you and Apache!!! 😍 ❤️❤️

Back
Top Bottom