Dying rooster - How to care for him in his last moments...?

Pics
But I will (have to) bring home another rooster, because I really need at least two roosters for my flock...
Nevertheless, I am going to be careful and bring one really, really young : last time I did, none of my roosters had any issue with the the youngest, and I think it was because I did bring him home when he was so young he was not sexed yet...?
I don’t get this.
Why do you need at least 2 roosters?
Why do you think a young roosters (cockerel) are better?

The worst age is often between 7 and 12 months old. These cockerels are often horny, many don’t submit to the master and they still have to learn how to behave to please a hen. Many people who like to keep 2 roosters finally rehome (or cull) one , to bring peace back into the flock.

In general only one rooster is easiest to have a peaceful flock.
To keep several roosters you need lots of hens and lots of space. The possibility to keep more, depends a lot on the breed/character of the roosters too.
It makes me wonder… How many hens do yo have? How large is the coop if they are confined to stay inside?

Hi.

For now, Apache is still home, because I am being careful about who I give him to...
(I don't trust some people to not cull him, then eat him...)

He has been recovering really fast since he has been able to run again, and he also is still gaining weight - and I'm pretty sure this weight is now only muscles'...

I was worrying about the fact Apache finally would never be so big than Rocky or other adult and healthy Brahma roosters... but now? I believe he actually will be like them in no time...!
Left like that, Apache will probably totally healed/recovered and STRONG no later than by fall; boy is so amazing, yeah!

But sadly, he still is aggressive.
Not all the time, but it is actually worse since I don't know when he will attack...
And apparently, I am not the only one he wants to bite : indeed, he tried to attack my mom this morning...! (She had to call me for help!)

Best wishes to you and Apache. You have done an amazing job with him! :hugs

Thank you!

Apache also has a strong desire to live; otherwise, he would not have recovered.
I have seen chickens in a better condition than his die like that, weak and sad, and yet still stronger than Apache was in the worst of his condition...!!

I don’t get this.
Why do you need at least 2 roosters?

I have the objective to be self-sufficient in the very near future.
Of course, I need several roosters for that - just so in order to avoid any inbreeding.

But I need two roosters NOW for another reason : I have too much hens for one rooster.

Spring is here, but Rocky does not mate with all of my hens. I have eggs that are never fertilized, and it is a problem for me.
Especially for the time being, since several of the hens Rocky actually mates with are occupied being broody or raising ducklings...!
Thus : I just have not enough fertilized eggs.

Why do you think a young roosters (cockerel) are better?

The worst age is often between 7 and 12 months old. These cockerels are often horny, many don’t submit to the master and they still have to learn how to behave to please a hen. Many people who like to keep 2 roosters finally rehome (or cull) one , to bring peace back into the flock.

That's what I heard, yes!

But from my experience - for what's it's worse -, integrating a really young cockerel in a flock already having roosters is actually best in order to avoid fights when he grows up.
(Or at least, it was like that in with my flock...)

But I'm close with my animals, and I train them as soon as I bring them home... so maybe it is what explains my luck...?

(In the worst-case scenario, if ever I am not lucky with my next rooster : in my area, it is easy to re-home roosters.)

In general only one rooster is easiest to have a peaceful flock.
To keep several roosters you need lots of hens and lots of space. The possibility to keep more, depends a lot on the breed/character of the roosters too.
It makes me wonder… How many hens do yo have? How large is the coop if they are confined to stay inside?

I have a lot of space, so no problem here...

For the time being, not counting Apache - since he is in another part of the garden : I have 1 rooster and 11 hens sharing two Eglu Cube.
(Will be 10 hens only by tomorrow, because one is broody, and I will give her eggs so she can raise ducklings or chicks...)

I also have 4 other hens, each one isolated in other coops, because they are broody. Or already raising ducklings...

All of them have space, big runs, and several coops; so I could bring a lot of more chickens home if I wanted to.

...Two Marans pullets are coming this week; and I plan to buy some others hens by fall - at least two, but probably three or four...

(But my next rooster WON'T be a Brahma : when I bought Apache and Rocky, I did not think Brahma roosters were so... lazy!
Thus, I think I will just buy a Marans cockerel : I like them, and they are at least easy to get; so...)

Most people I know that breed, with several roosters keep seperated flocks for more control.
Or often lock a rooster with 3-5 hens in confinement for a month-6 weeks. They start to gather eggs after 3 weeks to be sure the eggs are from that specific rooster, and do this about 2 weeks until they have enough egg to breed with.

Are you trying to hatch as many chicks as possible? No birth control? Do you have a plan for all the male chicks that will hatch?

Is that all Apache is doing? Biting? Has he tried to flog you or your parents? Has he come at you with his feet? It could be that you are doing/wearing something that is adding to his frustration at not having his own harem. Or maybe it is the lack of having a harem that is getting him worked up. Roosters usually like to have multiple girls; the one or two that visit him may not be his "cup of tea", if you get my drift.

Hi!

God... Rocky and the hens have gone in Apache's part of the garden yesterday afternoon...!!

Don't know how, but one door used for the separation had been opened; so Rocky and the hens had had access to the whole garden...
And by the time I realized it...? The two boys had already met.

I don't know if there was a fight, but I think so, since Apache was laying on the ground when I found him...
At least, he was not wounded... and even was able to stand again by himself; so, I now wonder if I actually can put Rocky and Apache together, in the same space, again...?
I am soooo going to try today (monitoring them - of course)...!

Most people I know that breed, with several roosters keep seperated flocks for more control.
Or often lock a rooster with 3-5 hens in confinement for a month-6 weeks. They start to gather eggs after 3 weeks to be sure the eggs are from that specific rooster, and do this about 2 weeks until they have enough egg to breed with.

That is my objective!

I am lucky to already have heard about the fact I would have to wait for three weeks to gather the eggs, because a hen can still use a rooster's sperm for three weeks exactly.

Are you trying to hatch as many chicks as possible? No birth control? Do you have a plan for all the male chicks that will hatch?

Yes, but... "as many chicks as possible" would actually be a very limited number, since I only use broody hens to hatch eggs, and I even keep some of them (the biggest ones, such as Brahma hens) specifically for my ducks' eggs...

(I have no incubator in my home. I would not even KNOW how to use an incubator... sounds much too complicated!)

Concerning the male chicks, I would just give them away (but not freely : I would exchange them) : it would be easy to do so, since I live in the countryside...

Is that all Apache is doing? Biting? Has he tried to flog you or your parents? Has he come at you with his feet?

As a matter of fact... he did try to flog me - just yesterday...! Raising his wings and all...!

It could be that you are doing/wearing something that is adding to his frustration at not having his own harem.

I am not wearing anything new... but I actually have wondered if he just does not like my boots?
Don't know why; it just looks like that...

But me being his problem would not explain why he also wanted to attack my mom...!

Or maybe it is the lack of having a harem that is getting him worked up. Roosters usually like to have multiple girls; the one or two that visit him may not be his "cup of tea", if you get my drift.

Yeah... the only hen that keeps coming in Apache's part of the garden... he just does not try to mate with her.
(But Rocky does...)

I am going to put Apache with Rocky and the hens, today... will see what happens!

Hi!

God... Rocky and the hens have gone in Apache's part of the garden yesterday afternoon...!!

Don't know how, but one door used for the separation had been opened; so Rocky and the hens had had access to the whole garden...
And by the time I realized it...? The two boys had already met.

I don't know if there was a fight, but I think so, since Apache was laying on the ground when I found him...
At least, he was not wounded... and even was able to stand again by himself; so, I now wonder if I actually can put Rocky and Apache together, in the same space, again...?
I am soooo going to try today (monitoring them - of course)...!

That is my objective!

I am lucky to already have heard about the fact I would have to wait for three weeks to gather the eggs, because a hen can still use a rooster's sperm for three weeks exactly.

Yes, but... "as many chicks as possible" would actually be a very limited number, since I only use broody hens to hatch eggs, and I even keep some of them (the biggest ones, such as Brahma hens) specifically for my ducks' eggs...

(I have no incubator in my home. I would not even KNOW how to use an incubator... sounds much too complicated!)

Concerning the male chicks, I would just give them away (but not freely : I would exchange them) : it would be easy to do so, since I live in the countryside...

As a matter of fact... he did try to flog me - just yesterday...! Raising his wings and all...!

I am not wearing anything new... but I actually have wondered if he just does not like my boots?
Don't know why; it just looks like that...

But me being his problem would not explain why he also wanted to attack my mom...!

Yeah... the only hen that keeps coming in Apache's part of the garden... he just does not try to mate with her.
(But Rocky does...)

I am going to put Apache with Rocky and the hens, today... will see what happens!
If your mom is not a regular care-taker, then he will treat her as a potential threat. Have your mom practice walking through the roosters while laying out food for them. After a while (mine took about a year to stop going after my family members) they should just see her as a bringer of good things to eat. 😊

And yes, roosters have some major problems with certain shoes and boots; mine go into full attack mode when I wear my furry boots, my waterproof boots (they make noise when I walk and they attack my toes), sandals are an absolute no-go because they hate people toes, and a whole slew of other shoes seem to set them off for no apparent reason. As well as certain pants and shirts and socks... You need to be wearing something that meets their dress requirements, and every bird is different about what they do not like to see in clothes. 😅

Be careful. Quarantine or dont if you don’t want to bring diseases into you your flock.
Good luck! 🤞

Hi!

Apache continues to attack, but weird thing is : boy bites me, but headbutts my father...!

A rooster is not meant to headbutt,
and if ever he does - or did - so when we don't see him... I think we just really found the reason of his (formerly) so bad condition...?
I already thought a wound in the head COULD be the cause, after all... but the fact he did it to himself had not actually crossed my mind until yesterday!

Also : we have new additions home. Two pretty, pretty three-months old Black Cooper Marans!!
But for now, Apache doesn't seem to be interested in them. I think the fact my Azur hen keep coming in his part of the garden is the reason : Apache may prefer strolling in the garden with her than talking to the new girls...?

If your mom is not a regular care-taker, then he will treat her as a potential threat.

I am the sole caretaker of the birds, but my mom and Apache see each other everyday.

Have your mom practice walking through the roosters while laying out food for them. After a while (mine took about a year to stop going after my family members) they should just see her as a bringer of good things to eat. 😊

A year...?
Wow... that's long! But he has grown up at least; ah, ah!

In my case, it would be pretty complicated, since my mom is disabled...

But thing is : Apache knows how to beg for food to her without actually looking like he is begging... (Birds are so smart...!)
...When a cat comes to eat, Apache also comes and waits with it to steal its food!
So, my mom is not a caretaker, but to Apache, she already should be a synonym of "free food" - like I am?

But whatever, because as for yesterday, I have found Apache is probably going to be mean to ALL human beings - since he even attacked, or tried to at least, my father...

Thanksfully, I know there are some people specifically wants an aggressive rooster... so, I may be able to find him a family who won't cull him to eat him.
(Would be a shame, after this long journey to recovery...!)

And yes, roosters have some major problems with certain shoes and boots; mine go into full attack mode when I wear my furry boots, my waterproof boots (they make noise when I walk and they attack my toes), sandals are an absolute no-go because they hate people toes, and a whole slew of other shoes seem to set them off for no apparent reason. As well as certain pants and shirts and socks... You need to be wearing something that meets their dress requirements, and every bird is different about what they do not like to see in clothes. 😅

Yeah, okay... so, that was not in my head!

What you say here is so interesting...!!
Chickens are known narcissistic, but the fact their love of themselves actually also expand to what is surrounding them is just so... funny! Ah, ah!

It looks to me like Apache does not like my boots... or even my pants.
In fact, I think he has a problem with brown colours...? Because for now, he bites me on the legs when I wear my brown pants, but he doesn't when I wear my green pants... although the pants are the exact same!

I never had to cope with a mean rooster... His sudden personality change saddens me, because seriously... if I was yelling or hitting him, it would be normal for him to hate me; but fact is : I did nothing to him.
I educated him like I did my dog... feeding him the best food, putting him to bed in the best coops I could find, petting him everyday...
And I helped him to survive and recover, and then, when he is doing so much better, he attacks me...?
...Birds can be so ungrateful... (And of course, I still love this one; ah, ah!)

Be careful. Quarantine or dont if you don’t want to bring diseases into you your flock.

I always quarantine the new arrivants.
Everytime in a run unused for some time (in order to avoid any risk of contamination), with a newly throughtfully cleaned coop...

Generally at least 8 days for the new chickens, so I can treat them against lice and mites, deworm them, clip wing feathers, and let them get to know the birds from my flock by seeing them (but not touching them)...

Good luck! 🤞

Thank you!

Was not a success, sadly : Rocky attacks Apache, and Apache does not defend himself - he just flees...

But I am going to try again. Just to see if it could eventually get better... of course, monitoring them : I would not want Apache to be hurt by Rocky - or worse, to be killed!

Hi!

No big news to update to this day...

Rocky and Apache still can not get along : Rocky keeps attacking Apache, and Apache is now much too a coward to even fight back.
...But at least, when he attacks Apache, it does not look like Rocky is trying to kill him...?

So, I am still keeping them separated.

...My Azur hen continues to visit Apache, but Apache is not interested in mating with her.

And it is NOT because he is not strong enough, since let's not fortget : not long ago, he had tried to mate with my Appenzeller hen, and he did not ONLY because of a sudden downpour...

And if this Appenzeller hen was not broody for the time being, I'm sure Apache would have already succeeded to mate with her...!

But this hen is an Azur, and is young, and pretty much new to the flock given I bought her on April 5th...
Apache is friend with her, but he is just not considering her has a sexual partner yet... (Don't know why, since Rocky is mating with her!)

Also, just to say : Apache keeps gaining weight - and it actually still is muscle mass.

Of course, he remember to be mean to me; and so, to attack me - boy bites, now even when I hold him to get him inside of his coop in the evenings...! (...Ungrateful bird...)

Here is a picture I just took :

DSC09912.JPG

From behind, we can see he looks ugly - let's be honest : he has to AT LEAST grow back his butt feathers so he does not look like a baboon anymore...

I would confess I'm feeling kind of ashamed since he looks sick or neglected...
I can assure he really is doing good, and has no lice or mites infestation, or whatever could cause him to look like that... but his look still is so-so for now... (Maybe the reason I still could not give him away to somebody serious...?)

Nevertheless, if we are not taking into account his butt and tail feathers, Apache finally looks like a king again :

DSC09918.JPG

Even his comb and wattles are growing bigger, like they should do of course...!!

Back
Top Bottom