E-Bay Eggs On The Way!

My little 8 day old Bresse chick, the only 1 to survive of 8 eggs. Hopefully this is a hen, earlier hatch have 2 cockarels and 1 hen, so hoping this one will give me 2 hens. Just luv my little chickies.

hei700

My 13 little survivors from the 2nd hartch, they started flying over their box, so moved them out to the chicken coop today, was worried the older chicks would hurt the little ones, but they seem to be more curious and supportive than annything.

First hatch survivors, sold 10 of them earlier, only 1 Bresse hen, and 2 Bresse roosters, think there are 8 hens and the other 5 roosters. Gotta say, Love these Bresse birds, they are 1/2 again as large as the others and very friendly and curious about everything. Think the 1 Bresse new hatched chick is a rooster, because he tried to fight all the larger, oldet chicks that stuck their heads into his box, i just love Bresse chickens, they have stolen my heart.

Really, i think that introducing baby chicks to 1/2 grown hens increases their likelihood to be broody, so i'm thinking that i'm going to have broody hens galore to hatch my call duck babies :)

My 13 little survivors from the 2nd hartch, they started flying over their box, so moved them out to the chicken coop today, was worried the older chicks would hurt the little ones, but they seem to be more curious and supportive than annything.

First hatch survivors, sold 10 of them earlier, only 1 Bresse hen, and 2 Bresse roosters, think there are 8 hens and the other 5 roosters. Gotta say, Love these Bresse birds, they are 1/2 again as large as the others and very friendly and curious about everything. Think the 1 Bresse new hatched chick is a rooster, because he tried to fight all the larger, oldet chicks that stuck their heads into his box, i just love Bresse chickens, they have stolen my heart.

Beautiful birds! Now I want Bresse chickens.
smile.png

Duckmeister I just read the whole thread, very exciting. You say you have an incubator, a dryer and a brooder?
I keep reading you mention putting them in the dryer. (I keep having mental images of chicks in a clothers dryer?) What do you use as a "dryer"?

Duckmeister I just read the whole thread, very exciting. You say you have an incubator, a dryer and a brooder?
 I keep reading you mention putting them in the dryer. (I keep having mental images of chicks in a clothers dryer?) What do you use as a "dryer"?

Bahamabanty, when i say put them in the dryer i mean that i took them out of the incubator they hatched in where the humidity is high and put them in my spare incubator with no humidity, and keep them in there until they are dry and fluffy and after that i put them in their little box with a heat lamp to keep them warm, and when they outgrow the box they go outside to the chicken house, no heat out there, but this is a very warm climate here, so they don't need a lamp after they get a couple of weeks old and get a good start getting feathered out. It gets so hot here, that i worry more about them over heating when they go to the hen house.

Just took the chain saw and cut a hole in the side of the chicken/duck house so the chickens can go outside and the call ducks can go inside. Tried to chase the chickens outside but it was impossible, they were to scared, but a few hours later they are sitting at the doorway thinking about it. 26 chickens in the house! They will be very happy when they find out how much fun they will have in the outside run with the ducks. I'm only going to keep 5 or 6 laying hens and a rooster, and have people waiting for hens when they are sexed 100%. Going to be crowded for awhile with 26 chickens and 18 call ducks until the extras get sold.

Lost 1 of my call drakes to an owl a few nights ago so will be locking everybody chickens and ducks alike inside the house at night.

Back
Top Bottom