E-coli danger from washing chicken treat dishes in kitchen sink?

I make my own laundry soap using washing soda, borax, bar of washing soap, and baking soda works great I also make a soap for my dishwasher using borax, baking soda, salt and citic acid. works better then anything you can buy. I do not buy and anti-bacterial stuff. I think with all the hype that the news has given people and over use of these things we are just making a super bug. I clean all of the kitchen with a natural cleaner. I also use those throw away pans for chicken treats I recycle since they are aluminium . I think as long as you use hot water and soap and clean your sink once a week you should be fine.

Do you ever cook chicken meat from the grocery store in the kitchen? It's far more likely that chicken from the grocery store has e coli and/or salmonella than the chicken dishes from your backyard flock. But it's basically the same issue.

I use the same precautions with chicken dishes (and other bird dishes from our indoor birds) as I do with utensils, cutting boards, etc. that come into contact with raw meat. We also have a handwashing routine when we leave the indoor bird room or the chicken coop.

I put any chicken treats in a plastic container at night after supper, and the girls get the teats the next morning. Before I leave for work I bring the empty in and it goes in the dishwasher with the rest of the dishes. A clean one is waiting to be filled. I think the temperature of the water in the dishwasher does an adequate job of cleaning the dishes, but might be a bit warm for the chickens...
wink.png

Why should those treat dishes be any different than preparing chicken? I like soap and water. Better yet I like the dishwater-it sanitizes.

After I wash my own dishes, I would wash the chicken dishes if needed to be and then sterilize it afterwards. I do that with my cat and hamster food bowls.

Hammie cages, litterboxes, in bathtub once a month. Good excuse to sterilize the bathtub and get right down to the soap grubs.

Laundry room sink downstairs for the metal waterers or incubators needed to be washed. It goes right alongside hubby's orange soap with grits LOL!

Interesting. My chicken "dishes" never make it inside the house. I've no idea why they'd need to be washed with soap and hot water in the house. The hose, a brush, and bleach all work together pretty well for me if I need to do that. They'll eat each others feces and drink from the sewer. I see no need to provide sterile tableware unless algae is growing in there.

I have to rinse them and bring them in-alot of my treat dishes are my good china!  :lau

I'm the exact same way! I bring out dinner leftovers on the plate we ate off, and we wash it via dishwasher. Had 0 issues so far with sickness because of our habits. If I had running water in the garage (where they live) I would wash them out there for sure! It would be much easier. I don't though, so they are washed inside. I will wash their waterer maybe every other month inside.

Too many people worry about germs. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom