E Locus of Isabella Brahmas??

Leghorns and welsummer both have white shell genes. Welsummer just has all the brown genes added. You would have to breed to get the dark brown back to where it needs to be.
I would love it if you have the time, could you expand on this? I breed Opal Legbars and constantly have to watch for the recessive white gene. This will be my first foray into brown egg genetics. How would you go about breeding back to brown?

My other option was lavender Old English Game x Welsummer. From my understanding they’re both e+. The biggest issue here is I can only find them in bantam! What are your thoughts on this? Thanks!

I’d recommend that you call them lavender laced. It’s simple and accurate.
Are you trying to make lavender laced silvers, lavender laced reds, or lavender laced golds?
Thanks for the feedback. :cool:

I'm trying to make Isabella/porcelain colored.. lavender laced cream, I THINK is essentially what I'm hoping.. The same as Isabella Leghorn.. which should probably be called Isabella partridge or something else.. since it's actually patterned?? I read some controversy anyways.. to that regard.

1611418707038.png

Honestly though.. I've seen some poor quality lavs with blonde leakage.. and don't wan't it confused with that. There are partridge Wyandotte available in the US.. and working with "speckled" seen in other countries would have been nice to get the actual porcelain effect.. but one day at a time! :pop

I would love it if you have the time, could you expand on this? I breed Opal Legbars and constantly have to watch for the recessive white gene. This will be my first foray into brown egg genetics. How would you go about breeding back to brown?

My other option was lavender Old English Game x Welsummer. From my understanding they’re both e+. The biggest issue here is I can only find them in bantam! What are your thoughts on this? Thanks!
Theres only two choices with egg shell. Blue or non blue (white) blue is dominate so if a bird has one of each gene the eggs will be blue but it can pass on the white shell gene. With your opals if you breed two that both carry a white shell gene then yes about 25% of the offspring will be pure for white eggs. If you have an opal that lays white you could use her. You could actually use any opal and breed out the blue shell gene.
Brown is a different deal. It's more of a coating that goes on the egg and involves something like 13 different genes. If you cross an Isabelle leghorn with the welsummer they will be pure for white egg genes but only get 1\2 of the brown egg genes that a welsummer has. You will need to keep breeding back to welsummer to increase those genes and in turn get darker eggs.

I'm trying to make Isabella/porcelain colored.. lavender laced cream, I THINK is essentially what I'm hoping.. The same as Isabella Leghorn.. which should probably be called Isabella partridge or something else.. since it's actually patterned?? I read some controversy anyways.. to that regard.

View attachment 2499938

Honestly though.. I've seen some poor quality lavs with blonde leakage.. and don't wan't it confused with that. There are partridge Wyandotte available in the US.. and working with "speckled" seen in other countries would have been nice to get the actual porcelain effect.. but one day at a time! :pop
You've thrown out so many names I'm unsure what you're looking at making. What pattern are you looking to add lavender too. What's it called without the lavender?

You've thrown out so many names I'm unsure what you're looking at making. What pattern are you looking to add lavender too. What's it called without the lavender?
I'm looking to add lavender into black laced red Wyandotte..

but currently have gold laced and blue laced red Wyandottes to work with aside from the lavender ones.

So without lav it's just gold laced or blue laced red.

Thank you!

View attachment 2499938

Cream can be used to describe the color of lavender diluting gold/red (like on isabel leghorns) or it can be used to describe the cream gene (like in cream light brown Dutch or cream legbars). Which one are you hoping to work with?

With isabelle leghorn I've usually heard it called straw if anything.
But ya thats the problem different names for the same thing on different breeds. And also the same name for different things depending on the breed.

I can attempt to help, but the minute someone asks a question about genetics that looks like an algebra equation my brain just shuts down in fear. Using the word "loci" will result in the same response.

I’d recommend that you call them lavender laced. It’s simple and accurate.
Are you trying to make lavender laced silvers, lavender laced reds, or lavender laced golds?

I will say I don't agree with calling them Lavender-laced. In fact, now that I think on it the lacing pattern is not consistent from one color to the next, but never mind that. For instance Gold-laced Wyandottes are black birds with gold lacing. Silver-laced Wyandottes are black birds with silver lacing. Blue-laced Red Wyandottes are really blue birds with red (mahagony) lacing.

My project for the next several years is producing English Lavender Silver-laced Orpingtons. They are a Lavender bird with Silver lacing. If you're taking the Black-laced Reds and crossing them to Lavenders, I'd call them Lavender-laced Reds if only to keep the naming scheme consistent with what already exists.

Back
Top Bottom