Early February 2016 Hatch - Who's In?

Thank you for the welcome. What are you hatching? Do you incubate often? I'm brand new to this, and I can surely see how addicting it can be! I am resisting candling every evening, which is what I'd like to be doing! Day 10 is Tuesday. Looking forward to that!

Welcome - what incubator are you using? And best of luck on your hatch!
yippiechickie.gif

Thank you for the welcome. What are you hatching? Do you incubate often? I'm brand new to this, and I can surely see how addicting it can be! I am resisting candling every evening, which is what I'd like to be doing! Day 10 is Tuesday. Looking forward to that!

I am hatching my own crosses, right now I have the children of purebred Black Copper Maran roosters x Red Sexlink, being inbred back with their purebred fathers. This setting (started January 30th, my 2nd of the year) I had my pick of 131 of my own eggs, so I set 100.

Last year I put almost 500 eggs into incubators, but they were 40 egg incubators. This year, I am incubating 100 every 25 days. You're hatching Isbars? I've never seen them, do you have pics?

Since taking my pics, I haven't seen (but I've heard) the chick. I have food and water right outside of the nest box but they haven't left it yet. Did switch from layer to chick start this morning- I had almost forgot! Broody is getting more active while she sits, so I'm hoping she will eat soon. Right now they are inside because I didn't have a good way to separate them from my other hen, in case the other one started to get mean, in the coop.

My concern would be the ability of the chick to leave and enter the nest box. Those sides look pretty high for a chick that young. I've seen them hop a bit when young, but not that high. Might want to cut an entrance hole. They are adorable btw.

I am hatching my own crosses, right now I have the children of purebred Black Copper Maran roosters x Red Sexlink, being inbred back with their purebred fathers. This setting (started January 30th, my 2nd of the year) I had my pick of 131 of my own eggs, so I set 100.

Last year I put almost 500 eggs into incubators, but they were 40 egg incubators. This year, I am incubating 100 every 25 days. You're hatching Isbars? I've never seen them, do you have pics?
[/IMG]

Wow! That's a lot of hatching! I don't have a rooster, so I had eggs shipped. I'm hatching Danish Brown Leghorns. Here are two pics of my Isbar. I just love this breed, I would have more in my flock in a minute!

Last edited:
Float test question: I tested my other egg. I did not see movement in it when I candled it but when I did the float test it did not sink. Nearly all of the egg was under the water, with the exception of where the air cell was. No movement in the water though. Total dud? Or keep it in there? I think we are on 24/25? 25/26? I've lost count.

Float test question: I tested my other egg. I did not see movement in it when I candled it but when I did the float test it did not sink. Nearly all of the egg was under the water, with the exception of where the air cell was. No movement in the water though. Total dud? Or keep it in there? I think we are on 24/25? 25/26? I've lost count.

You're at 25/26 (26 begins for you at 3:00pm today).

I say its a dud, crack it open and see when it died. I suspect you will find a creamy yolk (whitish as opposed to normal yellow), making it a very early death...but fertile.

You're at 25/26 (26 begins for you at 3:00pm today).

I say its a dud, crack it open and see when it died. I suspect you will find a creamy yolk (whitish as opposed to normal yellow), making it a very early death...but fertile.

That was what my suspicious egg that made it to lockdown was. It didn't look clear but didn't look like the others either.

Ok. Pulled the egg turner today... Day 17.5 and will turn by hand until tomorrow night. Added cheese cloth to catch egg breakage and will candle tomorrow before solid lockdown. Heat back to normal within 2 mins. Added warm water to water area and will pray for great hatch.

Last edited:
My hatch is over. 10 of the 13 hatched giving me a 77% hatch rate. I have 6 barred rocks, 1 barred rock/black Australorp, and 3 barred rock/barnyard mix.

Back
Top Bottom