Early stages sour crop?

Thanks so much for your responses. Her crop has gone back to normal and she's very perky since eating yogurt. I'm definitely going to add a nutrient blend to her diet.

She only lays a few months a year. Maybe, that has helped her live so long.
LOL! She's 8 and only lays a "few months a year"!! This girl rocks!

I hope she continues to improve. Keep us posted.

*Update* Her fecal sample came back negative. The vet assistant said that worms don't always show up in the test. She had roundworms 3 months ago that were treated. Thinking I should treat again. The vet assistant recommended ivertec (?). Anyone familiar with this?

BTW, she's still very active and has gained some weight back. Her crop still is swishy in the evening, but goes down all the way by morning.

*Update* Her fecal sample came back negative. The vet assistant said that worms don't always show up in the test. She had roundworms 3 months ago that were treated. Thinking I should treat again. The vet assistant recommended ivertec (?). Anyone familiar with this?

BTW, she's still very active and has gained some weight back. Her crop still is swishy in the evening, but goes down all the way by morning.
Glad to hear she is still active and gaining weight!

Since she is older her crop could be stretched a little bit, so it may be more "swishy" in the evening, but if it is emptying overnight while she is sleeping, then just keep an eye on her.

There are several de-wormers available, Ivermectin is one of them.

You can also use Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and then repeated in 10 days for each chicken or you can use Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur) is also good at 1/4 ml per pound for 5 days in a row.

Ivermectin dosage is listed in the Chicken Chick's article.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/11/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens.html

Is it safe for 4 month old pullets? Is deworming every 3 months too often? Can I feed them hot peppers to prevent worms?

Is it safe for 4 month old pullets? Is deworming every 3 months too often? Can I feed them hot peppers to prevent worms?

You can de-worm them that young.

Most people de-worm 2x a year.

As for the hot peppers, you would have to do research to see if they actually prevent worms. As far as I know they do not.

Thank you.
She is still gaining back weight and her droppings are large, solid and normal. However, she still cranes her neck after eating and in the evening, she quietly burps. But, her breath still smells okay. Should I still worry about this?

*update
Her crop has gotten bigger. So, I took her to the vet. They cleared her crop, gave a shot for intestinal parasites and took fecal and crop samples. Crop culture showed abnormal fungal and bacterial growth. Still waiting on the fecal. It will be 3-5 days for an additional culture to determine the right treatment.

I'm still hopeful she will pull through. Her appetite and activity levels are still good and poops are normal. But, her crop is obviously bothering her.

I'm thinking this is from intestinal worms. My fear is always tumors and cancer.

*update
Her crop has gotten bigger. So, I took her to the vet. They cleared her crop, gave a shot for intestinal parasites and took fecal and crop samples. Crop culture showed abnormal fungal and bacterial growth. Still waiting on the fecal. It will be 3-5 days for an additional culture to determine the right treatment.

I'm still hopeful she will pull through. Her appetite and activity levels are still good and poops are normal. But, her crop is obviously bothering her.

I'm thinking this is from intestinal worms. My fear is always tumors and cancer.

Hi DianeB
smile.png

Thanks for the update. I'm so glad you were able to take her to the vet. As you suspect, there usually is an underlying cause to sour crop. Worm and/or Cocci can be two common ailments that go hand-in-hand with sour crop. Anything that is "blocking" the inner works or slows it down can result in crops issues. While tumors or cancer can do this too, I would suspect worms or Cocci first.

Please do keep us posted on her progress, wishing for a full recovery.

Thank you.
Still waiting for results for medication. They said by Wednesday...ugh. Trying to get something done in the meantime. What would be good supportive care for her?

Thank you.
Still waiting for results for medication. They said by Wednesday...ugh. Trying to get something done in the meantime. What would be good supportive care for her?

Wow, that's a long time to wait for meds. Which one are you waiting on, the one for bacterial/fungal?

Did the vet make any suggestions as to what course of action to take while waiting on medication/tests?

I'm not sure what other supportive care to suggest, except to make sure she is drinking well.

Back
Top Bottom