East Tennessee?

Finally after years of culling my first genetically improved pure Rhodebars are out of the bator. :)

Hello East TN! I am also of this region, mostly raising egg layers, but getting into breeding for the first time. I am hoping to learn more about the breeds my neighbors keep. What are you all into?

I am debating on broilers .. but im just learning the curve to having chickens so im taking baby steps !

Hello East TN! I am also of this region, mostly raising egg layers, but getting into breeding for the first time. I am hoping to learn more about the breeds my neighbors keep. What are you all into? 

I am debating on broilers .. but im just learning the curve to having chickens so im taking baby steps !

Having discovered the world's most wonderful dual purpose birds i no longer raise Cornish X but I'd you haven't done it then raising them once is an experience. We used to order ours to arrive the first part of September and we'd butcher right before Thanksgiving. This way it wasn't too hot or too cold when growing them out and the weather was just right for a day of butchering. We always made sure our food was at least 10' away from the water to make sure they didn't stay in one place all day. We did not take food up over night like many folks recommend to limit their intake. I'm not convinced they eat less doing that and they do gorge each morning which I think creates more problems. So we free feed the entire time.
They are easy to do. And don't let folks scare you into thinking mortality rates are high. We raise either 40 or 50 each year and never lost more than 2-4

We have just under an acre in the Sharps Chapel area, old leadmine bend rd, to be exact. Does anyone know of any ordinances on keeping chickens. We only want about 4-6 for eggs and the entertainment value. One of our retired neighbors had 2 and one of the other neighbors told him he couldn't keep them, but no one can tell us what our legal rights on this are. Could someone help us, please?
Also, we are not living there yet, still in Ohio for now, but will be retiring in above area in 4 years and we love love love our little area of Tennessee!

What County is that in? There are very few places in TN where you can't have hens. The bigger cities prohibit you from having roosters, but even in the city of Knoxville or Chattanooga, up to 6 hens is OK.

Hi and thanks for replying. This is Union County close to Norris Lake up by the ferry crossing. We are in a small development community and although our 'restrictions' state no chickens or pigs, when I asked the lawyer that handled the sale we were told not to worry about that if we have them penned, she said that was only to apply to a big operation. That was one of the selling points for us for I have dreamed of having a few chickens when I retire there. But when our retired neighbor next door was told to get rid of his, that is when I started questioning this. I will fight for my chicks! lol This is a rural area and I have my suspicion that the person who is causing the trouble is one that is only a seasonal owner. Geesh! Everyone's dogs barking at all times of night are more of a bother in my opinion. I have seen chickens less than a mile down the road and they run loose, but at the same time they are not a part of our development. I just need to know where to go to find out or get this restriction lifted, and I am not going to get any help from the old timers because they do not want to get involved. I was told the laws were pretty leinient. I just hope I do not have to go through a lawyer to get this worked out. I am gonna have my chicks, lol. (can you tell I am just a wee bit feisty? lol0

Hi and thanks for replying. This is Union County close to Norris Lake up by the ferry crossing. We are in a small development community and although our 'restrictions' state no chickens or pigs, when I asked the lawyer that handled the sale we were told not to worry about that if we have them penned, she said that was only to apply to a big operation. That was one of the selling points for us for I have dreamed of having a few chickens when I retire there. But when our retired neighbor next door was told to get rid of his, that is when I started questioning this. I will fight for my chicks! lol  This is a rural area and I have my suspicion that the person who is causing the trouble is one that is only a seasonal owner. Geesh! Everyone's dogs barking at all times of night are more of a bother in my opinion. I have seen chickens less than a mile down the road and they run loose, but at the same time they are not a part of our development. I just need to know where to go to find out or get this restriction lifted, and I am not going to get any help from the old timers because they do not want to get involved. I was told the laws were pretty leinient. I just hope I do not have to go through a lawyer to get this worked out.  I am gonna have my chicks, lol. (can you tell I am just a wee bit feisty? lol0

Our neighborhood (average lot size of 2.5 acres+) has "covenants" as well. The covenants state that we're not supposed to own "livestock". Several of us wanted to have backyard chickens. We got together and decided that the neighborhood meanies would have to take us to court to enforce the covenants which would not likely stand anyway. Of the 13 lots in the neighborhood there are five of us that either want or have chickens. We bashed ahead and put in a nice coop and run ... and chickens (no roos).

We all figure we've got several things going for us:
The chickens are quieter than some of the neighborhood dogs.
The covenants say "no livestock". We all have pet birds that just happen to lay eggs.
In order to enforce the covenants, the meanies would have to pay a lawyer. They're not likely to pay out of their own pockets.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom