Easter Egger chick colors?

Pics

steny03

Chirping
6 Years
May 13, 2013
Nevada
This might be a silly question....but.....

I am interested in adding a couple Easter Eggers to my flock this spring when my local co-op gets their chicks in. However...I am wondering if there is a way to tell what color they will be when adults?

My current flock is 5 black australorps and one Wyandotte. I tend to like grey/black birds for whatever reason. I also tend to think it would be easier to integrate the new girls if the color isn't too different.

Don't worry, I won't get rid of the EEs if they don't turn out the color I wanted. They still will be luuurved up. :)

steny

If you guys and galls remember hawk, well this is him know.

When I got him.

Probably 2 or 3 weeks.

Little older.

Even older.

Even older.

This is him now!

I really like my EEs and no matter how large or small my future flocks might be, I will always have some!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-easter-eggers-of-oleo-acres

Out of my first batch, the only yellow chick I had turned out to be absolutely gorgeous. She's our Agatha - and she's been broody three times. Once she managed to hatch a single egg (they were shipped eggs and not treated to gently in the mail). He was our little roo named Scout. The second time we set eggs under her, they were Scout's. We hoped they were still fertile - we'd lost him and she didn't go broody until well after he'd died, but we opened a couple and one had that bulleye, so we thought maybe more would. Not to be. The third time we used the Broody Buster.

Agatha as a chick. She was soft yellow with a charcoal smudge down her head and back:

And as a "teenager".

And finally as a Mom.

Here are my EE babies at 6/7 weeks old! There colors have come at such a surprise!

The chipmunk became the almost black one and the chocolate colored one became the gold and black one! I never would have guessed!
The little red dusted chick became a pretty wheaten color and the white has started getting some gray on her head! They are so pretty!

Rey and Demelza

Ravenna and Truffles

Last edited:
Just thought I'd post a little 6-month update. Our Easter Egger colors totally changed, even since the last video was posted. I feel pretty confident in saying now that there is NO way to tell what they'll look like as an adult from chicks! I wonder if there is a totally separate set of genetics that determines their color as babies? Gotta love raising these little guys! Never a dull moment for sure. (You can click here to watch on YouTube.)

Thanks for the replies everyone! I appreciate all the pictures and links...and hope they keep coming!

I won't be able to pick up any EE chicks until late February, when the local feed store gets chicks.

I'm still hopeful that I can pick out a couple girls that are not brown....

EE's are much different than Ameraucanas, but if you want black or blue you should purchase Ameraucanas from a breeder. Sometimes you may find some from a hatchery that are close in color, but they don't normally breed true to color. If you are looking for a black, chose a black and cream colored chick. If you are looking for a blue, chose a blue(gray as you call it) and cream colored chick. Here is a picture of blacks, blues and splash (yellow in color) colored chicks. Splash generally grow out white with splashes of blue color.

Now here is a pic of wheaten/blue wheaten chicks. They are also yellow in color but if you spread their wings you will see some hints of a darker black or blue color. You will not find those darker colors in the wing of a splash chick, usually you see white in their wing.

Thought this might help you out, but I would be surprised if you found these colors among hatchery birds. Most EE's I've seen at feed stores are chipmunk colors. No telling what they will turn out to be.

Here's the best shot I could get of Sophia. She became very apricot in color. She has some pure white in her wings and her butt.

And here's Tiana... the real surprise! She went from a very light colored chick to all black and brown! Her head really changed the most from a pale yellow to all black.

I guess it just goes to show... EE's are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!

They both have been moved to my basement where the temperature is usually in the low 60's so I can get them acclimated for the cooler outdoor temperatures. It's about 45 for the high around here. This week I'm gonna start taking them outside for some playtime with my big girls so they can get assimilated into the flock.

Back
Top Bottom