Easter Egger Chicks (or not?)

Fwoof

Crowing
Jun 13, 2022
I was considering adding some new additions to the flock, and my local feed store happened to have chicks, so I got some yesterday! A Buff Orpington, a Sicilian Buttercup, and two chicks that appear to be Easter Eggers from an assorted breeds bin. Or are they? Since Easter Egger chicks and Dorking chicks look very similar, I wanted to verify what they are. I'm no breed expert when it comes to chicks! :oops:

Attachments

• IMG_7921.jpg
    IMG_7921.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7923.jpg
    IMG_7923.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7924.jpg
    IMG_7924.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7931.jpg
    IMG_7931.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7935.jpg
    IMG_7935.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7938.jpg
    IMG_7938.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7942.jpg
    IMG_7942.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7952.jpg
    IMG_7952.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 9
Is there a defining difference between what the two breeds look like as chicks?
Usually ees have pea combs those have single though ees can look like anything because its just a mix breed. You will know if they start getting white in them otherwise its a waiting game lol

Also, wanted to ask... One of them drinks a lot more water than the other three chicks I have (not excessively, but noticeably) and likes to sleep farther away from my heat plate. She's just as healthy and active as the others, but wanted to ask why she was doing this. I'm giving them a few pinches of chick grit every time they need new starter, so am I giving them too much? Or maybe the heat plate is too hot for them?

Last edited:
Also, wanted to ask... One of them drinks a lot more water than the other three chicks I have (not excessively, but noticeably) and likes to sleep farther away from my heat plate. She's just as healthy and active as the others, but wanted to ask why she was doing this. I'm giving them a few pinches of chick grit every time they need new starter, so am I giving them too much? Or maybe the heat plate is too hot for them?
@speckledhen
@azygous
@Eggcessive

Back
Top Bottom